Misplacing the ***** Remote

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So, I have a 21 month old and we have the option to turn off the front panel on the tv so he can't press the buttons and change things or turn it off while we're watching it. Its a nice option and has only one drawback.....you can't use the tv without the remote.

So I'm thinking he managed to get the remote and put it someplace safe - but after 30 minutes of searching the house, its not turned up. Now I can unplug the tv and reset the front panel issue, but not having the remote is a pain, especially to change channels....

Just had to vent.

D

2. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

What kind of TV do you have? I wish mine had that feature. I am probalby going to have to get one of those ugly plastic guards this weekend to the kids form pushing the buttons.

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its a JVC - I like the idea of the finder, though. I might have to get one or two.

And no, no remote yet. I'm thinking if he secured it somewhere, it might show up sometime next week....bleh.

We'll see.

D

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

As a father of 3, check the trash can before you put in another bag. Sux when you throw stuff out, we found lots of stuff in the kitchen trash can.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good luck in your search! i hate it when that happens, and then it usually turns up in an obvious place. :rolleyes:

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Check your pockets. Kind of a lame place to lose something, but if your remote is small it can easily be done. :p

Best of luck,

scem0

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's amazing how dependent we have become on remotes. I come from a time that each time you wanted to change the channel it meant getting up and going to the TV. Imagine that, ancient times. :eek:

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

i found mine in the garbage disposal... too late. ;) it looked about how you'd expect it to but it still worked, up until comcast gave me a new remote for my DVR, fun explaining what happened to the first one.

i've found it in plants, the toilet, inside of his toys, and in the couch more times than i can count. not the trash yet but that is a pretty likely suspect as well. my 3 year old son is a little terror.

good luck, kids are a pain in the arse, especially when it comes to electronics of any kind.

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

My grandma needs that.

As for remotes, I lost the remote for my TV in an empty VCR case for 4 years. Pissed me off. My suggestion? Get a cheap universal remote...

11. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

we have so many universal remotes.. at least 4, and we're still losing all of them at once. My family is so forgetful. :) (don't worry, I'm guilty, too!)

It's all about the $2.99 radio shack remotes. they ain't pretty, but... you can lose them and not be out $40 or however much RCA wants to charge. :)

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Just buy a cheap one with no batteries, put it on your coffee table, and hopefully your child will just play with THAT one.

"Hehehe......sucka!"

13. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Even cheaper ... find a stick and poke at the buttons on the TV when you want to do something like change the channel. :)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why even do that? That's why he has a wife

ZING!

*is immediately put on every female members ignore list*

15. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Lost remotes are a sore point of me. I can go from sweet, soft and caring to a raging, physically and emotionally abusive and violent menace in 2 secs.

16. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think with a signature like that, you've been safely left on ignore for a while by the ladies around here. :D

17. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

when i was a teenager and i would come home drunk a lot, i was constantly losing my remote in my waterbed. that paints a picture, doesn't it? Anyway, I picked up this device at a Walgreens or someplace, it's made by One4All (they make other cheap remote equipment), a little battery-powered receiver that glues to the remote, you push a button on a second remote control and the first one beeps. Sounds convoluted, because you can lose the second remote, sure. But I glued that sonofabitch to the back of a bookshelf so i could just tap it when i lost the remote. actually worked pretty well, for $15 i saved myself a lot of effort (i'm lazy like that).

they make them now, i think, so you can just clap or whistle, and they beep back. that would annoy the piss out of me.

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Hehe, I kinda like abstract. I dunno why.. he's not on this lady's ignore list.

..I think I like looking at his avatar. What an adorable kitty!

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But that doesn't work if I'm there by myself, now does it?

Besides, she's the one usually wrapped up in a blanket on the couch - I'm the one doing all the *getting* :p

But, I found the remote late last night - it had been found among the toys somewhere by the babysitter.

D

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

So, how many is that? Five maybe? :D

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is that the wife as well?

I kid, I kid. :p Glad you got your remote back though. I really dislike universal remotes. They have a lot of buttons that you never use, and you lose some features that the main remote would have control of.

And yes, get a beeper for that remote. This WILL happen again......we both know that. ;) Either that, or use the "dummy remote" idea. Your son only wants to hide things you use, so just pretend to use the fake one once in a while.

22. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

she can't be changing the channels AND making dinner at the same time.