miss the stripes, but tiger ui is just ugly.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bryantm3, Mar 10, 2005.

1. bryantm3 macrumors regular

it's just way too shiny. i miss the stripes of jaguar and previous versions, but i like the titlebars of panther. but tiger is just.. ugh. the UI looks way too glossy and shiny, and to me it looks almost ugly. i hope there's a way to switch to a panther skin when i buy an iMac.

2. bitfactory macrumors 6502

bitfactory

Tiger. is. not. done.

Sheesh people. Wait until it's finished before we start bi***ing, shall we?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm with you on this one. From what I've seen of the pre-release builds it's just not as beautiful as the earlier OSXs. Since my first real Mac experience with OSX was on Panther, I reckon that's the best looking. I'm actually quite a fan of the brushed metal despite what everyone says. You're right about Tiger looking plastic too. :(

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Ugly is wrong word to use. Perhaps cosmetically challenged?

5. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

I want to see Tiger gui!
    Please post a screenshot!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

There's quite an array of shots at http://www.apple.com/macosx/. :)

7. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Oh, I see it now, never noticed it being different!
    I think it looks better.

8. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

When i moved to Panther (from Jag) i thought it was ugly as well... Well, not ugly, but very different. In Jaguar they had stripes up the wazoo... and Panther was much cleaner. Now i don't know how i wasn't annoyed by those ugly pin-stripes... Trust me Tiger WILL grow on you. I think it looks marvelous...

kyle

9. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

That is very true!

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'm hoping you're right because at the moment I can't see me upgrading my Mac simply because of the GUI. Plus the fact that there aren't really many features I'm dying for... :p

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

At first i was in your boat. I just wanted to upgrade *just* to upgrade... Now, I after looking at the amazing things that are coming out, that is the least of my worries(the gui). Automator - and Spotlight are worth 130 bucks alone, Plus Core Image, Core Video, New Drivers, Safari RSS... I really could go on. Plus you know it is going to run faster then Panther right?

kyle

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Serious? If it's gonna be faster then that definitely changes things. Just for the record, was Panther definitely faster than Jaguar or did people get mixed results. I reckon some of the initial speed up most people find with a new OS could be attributed to the fact that everything was freshly installed... :)

13. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

14. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

At first, I didn't like the brushed metal interface of Panther, but it has grown on me, as I think all ui changes in Tiger will. It's not ugly, just different from what we're used to. Since it's being put out by the same people that make the stylish computers we use, I'll trust them when they make visual changes. I believe they know what they're doing. ;)

Daniel

15. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Actually, OS X has tended to get faster and faster with each release as more code is optimized, etc. Macs get faster as other OSs (~cough~Windows~cough~) get slower.

16. ßlack macrumors newbie

For Christ's sake!, has anyone ever heard of Shapeshifter? Once its updated for Tiger, I am sure you will be able to have hundreds of themes for your mac if you don't like the new Tiger GUI.

17. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ok, looking at those screenshots from apple.com/osx, it doesn't look any different from panther at all, all it seems to be is just some added features, i don't see wat all the fuss is about, i think they should have gone for a radical new approach and if people didn't like it, then theres still panter

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Fair enough, but some people don't like using those sorts of programs because of their reputations to mess with system files.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll all just get used to Tiger and grow to love it. :)

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

You MISS the STRIPES? Ugh, the pinstripes are SO Apple 2000... :rolleyes:

Today, it's about glossy whites and brushed metals. The pinstripes had their era, it's time to move on. :cool:

20. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Trust me - it is alot different. Just look closely at the shots they don't let you maximize, Those are the biggest changes. They are going for a more consistent milky white theme, and it looks great!

My friend is a real ADC subscriber and i have seen the beta in person. It is flawed (duh its beta) but it will be amazing once it is done.

kyle

21. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

The new Mail.app GUI is the ugliest I've seen in a long time. I think I will switch to a different mail application when Tiger comes out. Other than that, I think the new interface is okay. I don't see why they needed to change it from Panther, though, which I like quite a bit. I saw a lot of problems with Jaguar's interface (a lot of inconsistencies and unstandard components), but honestly Panther was almost perfect...why fix something that's not broke? :confused:

22. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Because the command line interface in the 80's wasn't broken, but as technology grows so does the need for change. I know what you are saying though, Panther is nearly perfect.

Oh and in the newest builds of Tiger, The mail app looks much different.

kyle

23. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

Are we discussing the milk theme of Mail.app or another new revision? Personally, I am excited to see the move to the new theme. Mail is ready for a style that has not been with us since 10.1. With that said, I would like to see the interface of Pages move towards the new mail style. There is just something about it that doesn't seem "Applelike" to me.

-TJ

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You can tell it is time to move on when other companies start to copy Apple. (iPod led to the Mini led to the Photo led to the Shuffle, leaving the others in Apple's wake. Didn't say anything about abandonment, however, did I?)

25. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

"Milk" theme, lol.

Using the Beta versions I'm almost use to the new look by now. It does take some time before you settle in with the look, but I can see myself already likin' it. A few things like the Apple button up at the left end are odd (too "flat" looking it seems), but overall, it's all good.

About the Panther "not being broken, why fix it?" statement - Well, if we got complacent with our success, then there's the slight chance Windows will overtake us! While I'm kidding with that, it's half true. Tiger is better than Panther, and that's a good thing. :)