Miss World massacre...

Discussion in 'Community' started by idkew, Nov 23, 2002.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    so i am sure all you have read about the miss world massacre in nigeria.

i am curious to hear what you guys and gals think of it.

my thoughts-
    i tried hard not to hate/prejudice all people of faith or non-american background. hard. i tried to believe that these murderous crazy people were the exception, not the rule. i don't want to be an *ist.

well, i am having a hard time doing this now. when a large portion of a city riots because of BEAUTY and chants god is great while torturing and murdering people, that is wrong. i don't care if you are conservative or not. the death penalty comes through due process, and stabbing someone then putting them in a tire filled with oil and burning them to death is not right. i don't care who you are, or what religion. right now, these "muslims" (i am trying not to condemn ALL Muslims) are not only giving their sane brethren a bad name, they are making me more and more want to support my country and show them a little something.

yes- i know i am saying fight violence with violence... but what can be done? anyone? killing people because we want to celebrate the beautiful human body which GOD made, just seems absolutely bassackwards and wrong to me.

anyone brave- jump on in. :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. pc_convert? macrumors regular

Okay I'm not condoning the violence but....

1) We know the northern parts of Nigeria are largely Muslim and that they practice Shariah law (even if we don't agree with it, we know they practice it). So holding a competition that violates their Islamic Shariah laws is going to be inflamitory. The miss world organisers should have thought about this especially due to the events of the past year.

2) Isn't miss world a bit outdated anyway? Does miss world really celebrate beauty, I think it celebrates vanity...

3. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

I couldn't agree more...

groovebuster

4. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

I've been wondering lately. Is the world going to Hell-in-a-handbasket. Or am I old enough to realize that the world has always been this f*cked up. I'm thinking it's the latter.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Its just one more case of mass stupidity - someone got the crowds riled up and it got out of hand. The mob mentality is a strange thing, its like hiding behind a mask, you think you're annonymous and not responsible for your actions. I'm sure some of the individuals who were involved in the killing and burning are realizing they went too far.

D

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I glad that the pageant will continue. Can't let terrorist win.

7. pc_convert? macrumors regular

sorry, but where did you get the impression terroism is involved?

8. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I think the newspaper is to blame. You know that people in that area can be somewhat fundamentalist at times so you write an article saying that Mohammed would have married one of the contestants?

They should have thought that one out.

9. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

i agree that was a stupid thing to write, but what good did KILLING 100 PEOPLE do? they could have easily enacted a boycott, and hurt the newspaper that way. protested their sale...

Murder is not the answer or solution. And i don't want to hear about a mob mentality. Mother Teresa would not have tortured someone to death if everyone else was.

if everyone was shooting themselves in the leg, would you? i think not.

typos....

10. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I know that it was not the answer. All that I'm saying is that the newspaper should have known these people a little better. They should have known that some of the people in the area would rather incite a riot then to enact a boycott.

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But if all it took was this one thing, well, all I can think is that it really wasn't about the pageant at all and anything could have set the mob off on a killing spree. This just happened to come along and be the first. I'd like to know more about who got the crowd/people worked up - that might be the real cause.

D

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Hey wait a second. Isn't November the month of Ramadan or something? Isn't it forbidden to swear, eat, or even think about committing a sin from sunrise to sundown? How could people who call themselves muslims go around killing people during the muslim holy month?

13. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

With all due respect, I've met some Muslims and have had my share of experiences with other faiths' religious people and have found the vast majority of them very deluded. I'm sorry but that's the way I feel. I'm glad it gives some people structure and discipline - something that a lot of people who turn to religion need - but at the cost of good sensible reasoning. It just never ceases to amaze me.

14. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

The people is upset because they know Venezuela is gonna win again as allways do:)

16. job macrumors 68040

job

I think it's in December, although I could be mistaken.

You do have a valid point though.

17. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Ramadan

I think Ramadan is in November, and that's why the Pageant was moved to the first week of December. I believe the date was movedout of respect for the muslim holiday.

18. tibookowner macrumors newbie

Nigeria

Sometimes I think God must shake His head and mutter under his breath... This isn't what He intended...

19. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Well... that doesn't explain why all of the Muslims I know are fasting this month very well.

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I wonder why American Muslim leaders don't publicly rennounce the violence against the innocent. So far when given the opportunity they say nothing.

21. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I don't think the media would take it. It wouldn't be "sensational" enough and it deprives people of an "enemy" to hate

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But they aren't our enemy - and yes, the media isn't covering all the sides to this, just the ones that get the better ratings and sell more papers. Pathetic.

23. iGav macrumors G3

Just read this on the BBC website.....

One word..... "Moron"

24. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

I had heard that the story was a comic piece inside an editorial, and that the outrage was fueled by word of mouth, email, textmessaging, and cell phones. Few if any of the people involved had even read the story.