Missing Carryovers from NeXTstep & Mac OS Classic

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Punani, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Punani macrumors regular

Punani

I think a lot of us have been amazed by Apple's lack of interest in porting some neat features of the 2 operating systems that System X is descended from. My big ones are the lack of the ability to minimize into a title bar (I know about WindowShade X, but what about native support?!) and the shelf from NeXTstep (I realize that 3rd party Drop Boxes do this, but I hear NeXT's shelf had a lot more subtle features to it).

I never really used either OS for a long period of time (I only played with Classic in school and GNUstep on Linux) what are your favorite missing features? And do you think Apple is just trying to find some flashy eye candy effects for them?

2. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

The upcoming Dashboard is supposedly the descendant of Desk Accessories. That's the only one I can think of. I think that now that the OS is stabilized to some degree, they can now go back in and add in features that they had removed- graphing calculator for example.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Minimizing into the title bar and the Shelf are not missing features. Both have been replaced by the Dock.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

5. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

I suppose the minimize into bar thing could be a expose feature, so you can make all the windows minimize but the one you want, so you can drag things from the desktop and what not. One way around this would be to allow files to be CUT and pasted, rather than just copied and pasted. Something windows just does better in my opinion.

6. Punani thread starter macrumors regular

Punani

The Dock does not have any functionality of the Shelf. You're supposed to be able to cut and paste folders by placing them in the Shelf and dragging them into a folder located on the Shelf as well, or finding the place you wanted to move the files. It's similar to the Drop Box in Path Finder and others. The Dock only allows you to basically create a shortcut.

In addition, someone brought a good point in another thread, if all this eye candy is becase there is so much idle CPU cycles, why don't we have the system refresh the minimized snapshots in the Dock every now and then? Maybe once a minute? I mean, if they think that people are actually going to watch QuickTime minimized into the Dock, why not?