"Missing" HD space

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DudeDah, Feb 13, 2005.

1. DudeDah macrumors newbie

Hey, weird thing is happening. I am "missing" almost 30GB of HD space. I have a firewire external that is partitioned with one partition being the same size as my internal 60GB (well, 55.89 actually) and it is showing 30GB remaining, but my internal is showing less than 1GB, which is after I have tried to clean up some space. I selected each folder on my HD, did a "get info", added up all the contents, and for sure, I am "missing" the space. Anyone experience anything like this? Could it be realated to installing 10.3.8? THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Hey, I had the same problem happen to me after installing 10.3.8.

Do you have the iShock driver installed? Apparently there was some major problem causing it to generate tons of errors to a log file.

Check:

HardDrive -> Library -> Logs -> Console -> Username

in finder. Is there a 30GB "console.log" file there? If so, delete it and also delete the ishock driver in application support.

arn

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I confirm the problem and the solution. One of five Macs we upgraded to 10.3.8 had this problem. It was the only Mac with the iShock driver, and removing iShock files cured the problem.

4. ChicagoMac macrumors regular

I have the same problem, but can't find a large file. is there any other way to find where it could be?

Update: I found the file, but it's a hidden system.log file. How do I delete it?

5. TheInevitable macrumors member

I have the same problem. I deleted the iShock drivers, but can't make the hidden files visable. I've tried using OnyX, but it crashes because I have no disk space, and when I try using Tinkertool, it simply doesn't take effect. I never use the command line, but is there an easy command I can enter to find and get rid of the enormous log file that has made my mac virtually unusable?

Thanks arn for the reason fot the problem. I feel relieved now that I know what is going on.

6. TheInevitable macrumors member

On my mac, it turned out that the enormous console.log file was under a different user. So if anyone else has this problem, try logging in as each of the users and deleting the console.log file.

7. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY