Missing HP Driver

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Curly7733, May 10, 2005.

1. Curly7733 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to the Mac and have had good success figuring things out until now. I really hope you can help.

I'm running a MacMini with Mac OS X Tiger. I have it networked to my Windows XP Pro machine. I have setup disk shares without any difficulties. On my Windows box, I have an HP DeskJet 5550 connected via USB. That printer has been setup for sharing. On the Mac, I had no difficulty locating the printer and adding it. The problem I've encountered is that when the list of printers is displayed, the HP Deskjet 5550 is not listed as an option. According to the Apple site, that driver should be there but it's not showing up in the list. I've selected another driver and was able to print with it but I'm missing out on all of the controls specific to my printer. In searching the Mac's HD, I was able to find a "hp deskjet 5550.plst" file under "Macintosh HD/Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/Printer Model Data Files/".

I also went to www.hp.com and downloaded/installed their driver for OS X but it made no difference. The printer simply can't be found under "Printer Model" in the Printer Setup Utility.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
    Curly

2. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

I'm curious about the answer to this too - in my case it's a shared DJ5650 on an XP box which is visible when I 'add printer' but which does not appear to have a compatible driver despite running the HP installer and there being a file that appears to be the correct model in the library folder.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

I have encountered this with my old HP882C (hell of a machine that still works perfectly after 6 years of steady use) I share it on the network from my XP box. Only way I can get it to work via network is to use GIMP Print drivers for it and select a similar model, the HP 810C.

The 882 isnt even listed in the printers list for networkable printers. Yet if i plug it straight to USB on my PB the PB finds it immediately.
    Damn it apple.