missing iPod features...a thread

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by buckuxc, Feb 16, 2004.

1. buckuxc macrumors regular

hey all,

This is a combination question and thread:

1) Every so often, when I'm listening to a playlist on random (especially when it's on my Recently Added playlist!), a song plays that makes me want to listen to the rest of the album it's on, or sometimes just other songs by that artist. As far as I can tell, there's no way to access that artist or album from the song that is "Now Playing". Can someone tell me differently?

2) Assuming that there's no way to currently do this, it is a feature I would love to see in future iPod software updates (if indeed it's only related to software).

What are some software (I guess hardware too) features you are hoping are introduced in the near future?

2. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Don't know how to do the Now Playing feature you want to do.. I've wanted it myself.

I just want them to fix the bloody battery meter in the next release.. I know it's just visual but it drives me crazy?

3. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

I suppose...

...one could hold down the center button (3G iPod) instead of tapping it, which would lead to a sort of "go to..." screen with the artist and album (maybe genre) listed. You could then just tap one of those. And so you could allow the current song to play out (and thus increase it's play count), if you went to this "go to..." screen during the next song, all you would have to do is click the rewind button while in the "go to..." and instead of restarting from the beginning or going back to the next song, this action would just go back to the last songs' go to screen while letting the current song play.

Don't know if that's possible or not...

sps

p.s. I just checked, holding down the center button, as opposed to tapping it, doesn't do anything special.

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

one thing

that they are sure to be working on is the color screen and the ability to view pictures that have been stored from a camera to the ipod. So a person can go though them, rate them, delete them, move the order of them. That kind of thing. I don't think we will see video other than than short videos taken with still cameras on the ipod. no one will want to watch a movie on it when they can take out their laptop and watch it.

5. jMc macrumors 6502

jMc

Re: I suppose...

Actually, it does... It changes the action performed by the wheel from volume to scanning (ie. fwd and backwards through the song).

jx

6. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

technically you are correct...

...but what I meant was holding down the button (like you would to select for an On-the-Go Playlist...that's a different action than tapping) doesn't have it's own action when you are in the 'Now Playing' screen. If Apple can have the iPod tell the difference between tapping the button and holding the button down in the selection menus, then hypothetically they could assign holding down the button a different action while in the Now Playing screen.

sps

7. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

color screen...

...is another must for me. I would love to be able to view pictures I've uploaded to it and also be able to rate them! Oh and it'd be neat if one could tap into a VERY basic "editing mode" which would simply consist of being able to rotate the picture with the scroll wheel to an upright position.

sps

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Re: missing iPod features...a thread

I'd like to see that too. I tend to listen on random with the remote handy to skip a track or repeat. I'd love to be able to reprogam the back button on the remote to be 'play as album'

9. 27407 macrumors member

If, when you are listening to something on random, you go to settings and take the shuffle off, it will play whatever comes next in the playlist.
    So if you had the whole album in order in the playlist, this would do what you want.

10. buckuxc thread starter macrumors regular

correct again...

...but I would need to do one of two things for that:

1) be listening to the album itself...I have certain playlists, like Recently Added or Never Listened To that I throw on shuffle...

2) ...and I could conceivably do this by setting shuffle to "Album" but it is only sometimes that a specific song makes me want to listen to the rest of the album or other songs on other albums from that artist. Setting shuffle by album would entail a lot of skipping, which wastes battery power (not good).

can someone post the link to the "suggest features" section of Apple's site for the iPod (if one exists)?...I have to run...

sps

11. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

User defined EQs on the iPod. Backlight brightness control. Power consumption rate meter. Headphones that don't become blown the in the first month you use them (no i don't listen to rap or other heavy bass music, the headphones are just sub-par for the device). User replaceable battery (change the silver part into a battery that detaches when you pry it off or something.) I actually wouldn't care about the horrible life of the battery if i could do this and replace it with one that is charged. The buttons at the top are horrible, touch sensitive buttons blow. Spin the next song into flash memory before the last song in the current memory ends (to prevent the 5 second delay that happens between spin up and loading into flash). Use lower rpm drives to increase battery performance. Ship usb 2.0 cable with iPod. Built-in dock -port protector. Times-played counter on the iPod. LCD on remote. Keep the black and white lcd. The iPod is a mp3 player, not a photo organizer, remember that. Include iTunes on the iPod, on connect, computers that don't have iTunes a dialog will appear asking if you'd like to install iTunes, of course a checkbox in the dialouge box would allow this box to never be show again, or other similar software that allows you to manage your songs/playlists on computers that don't have the correct software, build it into the iPod. FM tuner built-in to stop those whiners that whine about not being able to listen to crappy FM radio stations, if tuner included, one-up everyone else, have it receive AM stations too. Artist branded iPods( e.g. the Radiohead iPod. Which would include all Radiohead albums already pre-downloaded from the iTunes music store. Maybe even the band's icon, the kid a bear or something, instead of the apple logo.[I know Radiohead isn't on the iTMS but they are huge apple fans, and one can hope]), of course this would be in limited supply only. iPod-mini design with the rounded, circle like corners. I've got much more, but I can't think of them right now.