Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Last night I came across a thread in the Marketplace Forum advertising some brand new 30 round AR-15 magazines for sale. I don't see it there any more. Why was it removed? Was it against the Marketplace rules?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Last night I came across a thread in the Marketplace Forum advertising some brand new 30 round AR-15 magazines for sale. I don't see it there any more. Why was it removed? Was it against the Marketplace rules?

You should send your question to our contact us link.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I'm interested as well. I was considering them, even though they were black.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
In the meantime, I would direct you to review the Marketplace rules, number 6 specifically.

Suitable items. The Marketplace is intended primarily for Apple-related and other computer-related items but is not limited to such items. We do not permit offers to sell/trade/buy hazardous materials, weapons, or age-restricted items that would be illegal for our members aged 13+ to purchase. We do not permit sales or trades that violate laws or items on eBay's Prohibited and Restricted Items list. When in doubt, contact us for permission before starting a Marketplace thread.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
The eBay Restricted Items list (linked above) note that anything over a 10 round magazine cannot be sold.

Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 22.59.55.png

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since MacRumor's relies on Ebay's list of prohibited and restricted items and Ebay prohibits the sale of magazines that can hold more then 10 rounds, the for sale thread was removed.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It was not ammunition. It was for empty magazines.

Sorry, was misreading that, especially since it was 30 magazines, quite a high number. Even when I was serving in the military, I never got more than two or for magazines, thus my inability to comprehend that many magazines belonging to one person instead of a squad.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That policy is only enforced in states where those are illegal.

There wording on ebay is pretty explicit

Magazines with a capacity to accept 10 rounds or less (high-capacity magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds are not allowed)

My suggestion is if you wish to buy such magazines please find services that specialize in such sales.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you have an issue with the moderation then please I recommend using the contact us form and an admin will review and respond. As it stands that marketplace sale violated the ebay list of restricted and prohibited items and it was removed.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
If you have an issue with the moderation then please I recommend using the contact us form and an admin will review and respond. As it stands that marketplace sale violated the ebay list of restricted and prohibited items and it was removed.

No, thanks. I know how that will go, mostly a repetition of what's here when I already know the answer.

It'd be nice to know who the OP was though ... but since the thread was deleted and not just closed ...

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Since MacRumor's relies on Ebay's list of prohibited and restricted items and Ebay prohibits the sale of magazines that can hold more then 10 rounds, the for sale thread was removed.

I know nothing at all about weapons or ammunition, but it seems to me that this is the answer to the question raised in the thread. Ebay prohibits the sale of this type of item, and we follow that list in our Marketplace here. If I understand correctly, the item being sold exceeds the 10-round limit.

Whether or not or how and when Ebay enforces the list isn't relevant to MR's policy as far as I can see.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.