Missing or Corrupted hal.dll

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hannibales, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Hannibales macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2006
    OK, so I've slipstreamed an XP SP2 CD, installed Bootcamp and Windows, but now it won't start up XP. Virtually straight away it tells me that hal.dll is missing or corrupted. I've had a look on the web and used the Windows Recovery to try the "Bootcfg /rebuild" and "bootfix" options as well as "extract d:\i386\hal.dl_" but nothing seems to work. Every time I restart it tells me that the file is missing or corrupt. I've re-installed windows several times and even made a new CD with a the hal.dl_ file from a different computer, but it still fails at this stage. I had a look in Disk Utility and it shows the window partition as number 3, I've seen on the web that this could be a problem and should be changed to number 2, but how do I do that without having XP running? Anyone got any ideas?

I'm running it on a stock mac pro, 32GB XP Partition.
  2. Mushroomgod macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006
    I had a similar problem....I dont know if this will help but i had windows as my startup disc under macos...Once I had changed it from windows to macos it worked fine.
  3. Hannibales thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2006
    Thanks for the idea, unfortunately it didn't work.

I guess this is what I've been missing out on for all these blissfull mac-owning years! :D