Missing plastic cap for Power Adapter

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Furrybeagle, Oct 3, 2005.

1. Furrybeagle macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2004
    I've seem to have lost the plastic cap that goes on the end of my power adapter (the end that plugs into the computer) for my PowerBook (15" 1.67). I'm just worried that the metal is going to get bent much easier without the cap. And, of course, it's just annoying knowing that the cap is lurking around somewhere in your house. :p

So is there any way I can replace it without purchasing a new power adapter? Do they have a bag of power adapter caps like they do rubber bottoms for the computers at the Genius Bar?
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Don't worry about the metal, it is fairly sturdy. Unless you really jam it on something, but that'd probably break it anyway.
  3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

You MIGHT get lucky and find one laying around a genius bar...I throw away all my caps as soon as I get them.

The tip is FAR more likely to be bent when it's pulled out of the 'book at an angle than EVER bent inside a bag.
  4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    Yeah, don't worry about the metal. My adaptor has survived for two years without the cap. No probs. My brothers did get squeezed a bit though, but I think he must have stepped on it, he never brings it anywhere. Solution: squeeze it back into shape.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I don't even remember ever having a cap for my power adapter. I take mine to school and back every day, and it's fine after a year of doing that.
  6. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I know your pain. I hate it when a part (even a non-essential one like this) goes missing. My 4 year old took that same plug cap off of my desk one day, and I looked for it for a couple of weeks before giving it up as gone forever. Then, almost as soon as I gave up, it showed up two floors down in his crate of Hot Wheels. At least he hadn't eaten it.
  7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Speaking of caps, what about the mini-DVI/VGA adapter? Mine was moved without my permission and now I only have the VGA side, while the mini-DVI side has all the pins... bleach.

Do they have those at the Apple Store?
  8. mattster16 macrumors 6502a

Apr 18, 2004
    The tip to my power cord definitely has been bent a few times. I just bend it back. It is more of a slight oval now, but I guess the added benefit is that it REALLY secures into the power port. ;)
  9. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2005
    I lost my cap on day 1.
    And i bent the power adapter pulling it out of the PB.
    By the way are PB adapters supposed to go orange when charging?
  10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Yes! And I bet you haven't calibrated your battery, either. Linkety, Linkety.

RTFM PEOPLE! :eek: :rolleyes:
  11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2005
    The metal will be fine. The power adapter I got with my G4 Powerbook 400 four or five years ago has never has a cap, it has always just been thrown in a bag, and it still is in great shape. The iBook I'm typing this on is plugged into it right now.