missing printer driver for intel mac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by absurdio, Nov 27, 2006.

1. absurdio macrumors 6502

Okay. The short version:
    I had a G4 powerbook and an HP photosmart 7350. Now the powerbook is gone and (happily) replaced by a c2d mbp. Only now the printer doesn't work.
    I've downloaded the driver/installer from the HP site and gone through the installation routine a couple of times, but no luck. Every time I run the Printer Setup Utility, it recognizes the printer, but can't come up with a corresponding driver.

This exact same issue came up here, but as i'm not a member of macosx.com and the issue didn't seem to have much of a resolution there, I thought I'd try here.

There's some speculation that maybe there just isn't a driver yet for that printer for the intel macs. Can anyone confirm or deny that? And does anyone know if there's an interim solution until HP DOES release a driver?

Thanks, folks.

2. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

It's not fun, but you may be able to get it working via CUPS.

Click here: http://127.0.0.1:631/

Try adding the printer using the "New HP deskjet" driver.
    No promises, but it may get you general text printing.

3. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

An excerpt from the HP "support" email I just got back:

"Is this an Intel mac. This printer will not work with the new Intel
    Macs.. "

That settles that question, I guess, albeit not with the strictest adherence to grammar. At any rate, on a whim I tried to set up the printer with the "HP PhotoSmart P1000 - Gimp-Print v5.0.0-beta2." So far it's done a satisfactory job printing a couple of PDFs. I don't have a lot of confidence in this solution (I feel like I've just welded a car door with peanut butter instead of solder), but at least it's working for the moment. If it fails on anything more intensive (and it likely will), I'll give your solution a shot. I appreciate the response. I'm also sortof shocked that there isn't a neater/simpler solution than either of ours. What is HP doing if not making drivers for me? *grumble*

Thanks again. If I try anything else, I'll post my findings.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are aware that Gimp-Print 5.0.0 (now Gutenprint 5.0.0) has been in release form since July 2006?

5. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

6. absurdio thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, since i just got this computer a week ago, the issue hasn't been of the faintest relevance to me until recently. I also didn't know then and I don't know now what exactly Gimp-Print 5.0 IS. What I listed was the closest thing I could find in the list of drivers offered to me...

If I had all the answers, I wouldn't be asking for help.