Missing space?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mal, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

On my iMac, with a 60GB drive (55.85 or something formatted), I currently have, according to the Finder, 3.21 GB available, with 51 something used. I ran OmniDiskSweeper, since I wanted to figure out what to delete or move to the external drive, and all the folder sizes listed adds up to only about 26 GB. I can't for the life of me figure out where the extra space is being used, and I know OS X's virtual memory shouldn't show up as used space. I think something may be seriously wrong, but I don't know how to find it. Anyone seen this problem before?

jW

2. Switzermac macrumors regular

i have no idea sorry it could be a omni disk sweeper error

3. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'd have a look at the folder structure to find out what's using the space. Have a look at Applications, Users etc. and add up the space. Then proceed with the subfolders.

4. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I have not got a mac yet (its in the post!!!) but this is what i found:

Once, I moved a hardrive to a new computer to use as a second drive, I deleted all the files on it (including windows xp files) as I was not booting from it.

When all files were deleted, something like 50GB was still showing up as used up.

I used a partition manager program to erase the partition and create a new one, now I have all 80GB available (well pretty close anyway).

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Some of the stuff in this thread might help. I think the issue might be the way Omni looks for files -- if it is not using admin privileges and looking at dotfiles and other stuff that's hidden in Finder, then it will get a grossly inaccurate number.

6. Mal thread starter macrumors 603

Mal

Dang. Thanks for that link, there seems to be 27GB unaccounted for in the Users folder, which makes sense given the permissions thing. Guess I've got some cleaning to do for the rest of my family!

jW