Missing Sync: will it help my Palm syncing problems?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Argelius, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Argelius macrumors 6502

Argelius

I am still struggling with syncronization my Palm Treo650 with my Tiger PowerBook. Originally, I was going to use Entourage, but after playing with iCal and Address Book, I think I acutally like those apps better.

So far, my syncing (using iSync) has been buggy. One specific problem I've noticed: it doesn't reliably place email addresses from my Palm into email address fields in Address Book (hence, when I try to look up an email address using iMail, some aren't showing up, I assume because they aren't being recognized as email addresses). A couple questions:

(1) Where/How do I set the conduit to behave "Palm Overwrites Desktop"? (In my conduit settings, the 'contacts' and 'calendar' entries are missing. The iSync and/or Entourage conduits do no give me options to change the sync behavior)

(2) if I decide to use iCal and Address Book, will Missing Sync improve the syncronization process with those programs? I am not particularly interested in many of Missing Sync's enhanced functionality like iTunes and iPhoto syncing. However, if it would smooth the regular calendar/addresses syncing process, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Thanks...I'll get this settled soon...I hope....

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Hrmmm...

I have a Treo 600 without any of those problems.

I'll take a peek and see what my settings are.

3. iGary Guest

iGary

I assume you have the iSync conduit set up, yeah?

4. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Yea. I've gotten things to "successfully" sync using iSync. But still having problems. The last sync I did, all my addresses were deleted on my Treo and AddressBook...but they remained in the Palm DeskTop.

A side question: if I use iSync (which I assume means you are syncing with iCal/Address Book), does syncing occur also on Palm Desktop, or just the Mac apps?)

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Since Tiger I cant get my palm T2 to sync. I dont want to fork out extra cash unless I have to for a 3rd party app...but it is looking like I am going to have to.

6. Argelius thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

I just want to determine if the Missing Sync software will smooth the basic (i.e. calendar and addresses) synchronizing. If it enhances control over these basic processes, their website doesn't really say. (It mainly touts all the enhanced functionality with iTunes, iPhoto, etc).

Can anyone confirm that Missing Sync improves on the *basic* syncing process?

7. Bedawyn macrumors regular

I'm using Missing Sync with Panther and a T5, and honestly, I'm wondering why. With the exception of AvantGo syncing (which is great -- when it works, which isn't often, but that's AvantGo's problem), I don't see much advantage to it. It adds another way for problems to come up and makes it that much harder to get help for anything, since it replaces the default Hotsync that Palm supports. That said -- I haven't used it yet for those particular functions, Calendar and Address Book, so I can't speak to that. If I remember correctly, I bought it so I could sync with Entourage's address book, but I just haven't set it that part of it up yet. Somewhere, there's got to be an easy way to sync to Entourage with Address Book, so we can just let all the other default apps sync with Address Book, but I haven't discovered it yet.