Missing Utah girl found

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by macktheknife, Mar 12, 2003.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That is very cool and I'm glad they found her. I just hope the ordeal wasn't something that will scare her for life.

Other interesting tidbit "The top potential suspect in the kidnapping, Richard Albert Ricci, a handyman who once worked in the Smart household, died Aug. 30 after suffering a cerebral hemorrhage while in prison on a parole violation. He said he had nothing to do with the kidnapping."

I'm reading the edited part that forgot to put "from repeated blows to the head" after hemorrhage.....someone didn't like the fact that he could have kidnapped or killed a little girl. Sad :(

D

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

... what the hell.

She was gone for... months and she didn't even call home with this drifter?

Omg... what the hell was she thinking? :eek:

3. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Wonderful! Hope she is going to be ok ,physically and psychologicaly speaking! Love Good News! This is a blessing for the family! Terrific!

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If it was one the departments around here, they would continue to investigate the dead guy as the lead suspect.

They've done it time after time here when they go after the wrong guy and destroy their lives.

Even after the people win a wrongful arrest lawsuit the first thing out of the department is, we are still investigating the dude and hope to take make an arrest real soon.

5. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Prasie the Lord! I've been praying for that little girl!

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i remember i was with my grandparents at the time when this happend and i was in moab utah. i knew about this story pretty early, just because it hit local news before national. the whole story just seemed to fishy, the dad was very odd about everything. for the time being not everything really added up. oh well, im glad she is home and i hope her dad gets better considering all the odd stuff they found out about him during the investigation. have they said who gets the quarter mil yet.

iJon

7. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

I am very glad that they found her. A huge relief for her family.

8. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I totally agree with you. I live in Utah, so we had daily updates on this for a long time. After that, it stopped and everyone assumed the worst. glad to see it's not so.

P-Worm

9. job macrumors 68040

job

This bizzare image and story may answer your question.

http://kutv.com/specialsection/local_story_071193346.html

I would have attached the image, but a disclaimer on the site said that the images could not be redistributed in any way without the persmission of the station.

Check out the pics though. It's kinda creepy, almost cultish. How old is she?

10. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

damn that is scary, the whole story about all of this still seems so fishy. with the dad being all strange, then her being 15 and being almost gone for a year and getting to a phone or anything. but i dont know the whole story to make in conclusions. i completly forgot about this girl after summer and everyone assumed she was dead. glad to here she is home though.

iJon

11. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I could not be happier for the family. This has seemed fishy to me from day one, but you have to understand they could have had her drugged, or watched 24/7 because there were two people in on this. The guy, and his lady friend.

The little girl that broke my heart was Samantha Runion. I will never, as long as I live forget that child.

12. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oh wow, i didnt know it was an older lady. for some reason i thought it was another younger girl. i had to drive somewhere tonight abotu 2 hours away so i didnt get a chance to catch up on the news or watch the press conference. hopefully i will know more tomorrow.

iJon

13. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Don you see? she is blond! (and cute)

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

In what way was the father strange?

This was definitely a prayer answered. Here in the Boston area we are praying for Molly Bish. She was 16 when her mom dropped her off at her lifeguard job 3 years ago in June. Her parents wished the Smart's happiness. They still have hopes that Molly will return.

15. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Odd pictures indeed...

You know the guy is messed in the head if he's drinking MGD. ;)

16. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

well since it was last summer i cant remember exactly so i could be wrong or mixing this up with another case. didnt they suspect the father was in it at a point and investigated his computer and found some "interesting" stuff. does anyone else remember what they found out about the father, but like i said i could be mixing this up with something else.

iJon

17. slightly macrumors regular

slightly

Of course it's great that Elizabeth Smart ended up okay. Obviously her family is ecstatic and I don't begrudge their happiness one iota. However:

The media coverage of this story has been totally out of proportion. CNN and MSNBC (the latter is the worst offender) have been running it almost continuously ever since she was found. Even when there have been no new developments, they bring in random pundits to speculate endlessly on what happened to her, which, if and when the case comes to a jury trial, is going to totally prejudice any chance of justice.

Also, and I'm sure I'm not alone on this one, it's so clear that the girl was not "under total coercion". Time and again the question is asked why she didn't contact home, and the answer is always "oh yes, she must have been psychologically affected". Well, what the screaming feck does that mean? No, I'm sorry, but I'm willing to bet that she was actually not having a terrible time at all. And yes, I agree with a previous poster. The father is an oddball.

Finally, it might be a coincidence, but has anyone noticed that all the current demon figures, including this Emmanuel bloke, Bin Laden etc., have wild, unkempt beards? Is there a hair conspiracy here? I think we should be told.

Matt

18. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok good, glad someone agrees with me on the father issue. if you just loook at him he just looks like a sissy and a little girly, not mentioning all the stuff they dug up on his computer back in july. if you go to cnn you can some picutres sent in who took pictures of them in san diego because they looked weird. im just getting mad because they wont release any info and very curious to know what the hell has bene going on the past 9 months. anyways, is her face so red in the new pictures because she was abused or was because she has been crying a lot.

iJon

19. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok good, glad someone agrees with me on the father issue. if you just loook at him he just looks like a sissy and a little girly, not mentioning all the stuff they dug up on his computer back in july. if you go to cnn you can some picutres sent in who took pictures of them in san diego because they looked weird. im just getting mad because they wont release any info and very curious to know what the hell has bene going on the past 9 months. anyways, is her face so red in the new pictures because she was abused or was because she has been crying a lot.

iJon

20. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

This is being blown up way more than it should. Yay she is home.
    Good for her. All this TV fame is just going to end up hurting her.

21. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont think if this never got on tv they would have never found her. i really feel if this happened in any other state no one would have known about his. people in utah are just so nice, especially in salt lake city.

iJon

22. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

She would have been found much faster if Mitchell's info had been made public.

He was a regular customer at certain liquor stores here in SD, apparently. If a photo/description of him had been given out he'd have been in jail months ago. Hell, he even showed up in court here and walked out on bail before he was IDed. :rolleyes:

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

very true, to me it seems likes like everyone kind of gave up. i completly forgot about her after summer was over, more like 2 weeks into it. i remember when they were looking for that green saturn and they found it. there were signs all over moab when i was down there. then i drove to salt lake to catch me plane and there were BILLBOARDS. this was crazy. like i said anyone other state and it wouldnt have gotten so much attention. but you are right bout his guy, this could have been solved earlier. and whats up with this campsite, they said they looked all over, and apparently this was nearby the house. its all so crazy and fishy, i cant wait to see how it all plays out, right now the police are saying jack. i hope the trial is televised.

iJon

24. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think it is great that they had stuff on TV to help find her, but
    now that she is back, they should just let her live. She is back,
    I really don't care, great for her, now will you play some news
    that will affect my life? :rolleyes: ;)