Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Are these "space themed" names a hint of something to come? Planet/star codenames for Mac OS XI?

Just for pure, mindless speculation remember ;)

bristleworm

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Germany
That's actually a quite cool idea. I'm sure Apple won't use any other cat names in the future.
But it doesn't have to be the naming scheme for Mac OS XI, it could also start with OS X 10.8, as they won't switch to XI without a major change in the OS base.

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
I actually had this theory ever since I saw the introduction movie and wallpaper from Snow Leopard.
I think in OS XI Apple will use galaxies for code names. I think it makes sens, and gives users the impression that the OS is out there. :)

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
It would definitely make everything more futuristic sounding.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
I'd get on board with this. OS XI Andromeda would have a nice ring to it. The real question is what could Apple possibly do to warrant a X to XI point change. Snow Leopard is pretty much getting it done completely for me. Lion seems like it'll be a fairly surface-y update to me. So far it's an Exposé change; fullscreen is entirely up to app developers, I don't know how an OS could really influence that, other than just making it simpler to accomplish on a developer standpoint. What are you going to do, require all apps to have a full screen mode? F that.

andrei.barbuta

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2009
Romania
Lion seems surfacy because that's the only thing they showed, but remember, "Instant on" apps, that necessitates a lot of under the hood improvements and one of those is a new file system. Yes, Apple could get away with HFS+ for Lion also but the next one it's guaranteed to change the file system. Even if they use SSD as standard in 2011 Macs the current file systems have all been developed for mechanical drives.
Can you imagine what would happen if Apple would develop a file system with SSD in mind? I can almost hear Steve: "The problem with the old file systems is that they are OLD, and they are just not good enough to handle the new technology drives!". :)
From the preview it is clear that Apple want's Lion to be a revolutionary step and not evolutionary therefore it needs a lot of under the hood improvements even if we can't see them yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.