Missouri Proposes Its Own Version of "Don't Say Gay" Bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Apr 25, 2012.

1. leekohler, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow. This is crazy. If this is taken to mean what it says, people won't even be able to talk about their parents kissing. This is insane.

http://www.advocate.com/Politics/Missouri_Proposes_Its_Own_Version_of_Dont_Say_Gay_Bill/

2. macrumors 603

Why do people keep getting more and more ******* crazy? Something has to give eventually...

3. macrumors 65816

Hands in ears (check)

Therefore gay people don't exist.

4. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

This bill is gay. *Snicker*

I just don't understand how people can think that not talking about stuff makes it better. I spent 4 years not talking about my Sexuality hoping it would fix itself. NOPE!

:/

Don't you get it? Something already gave way.

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So tired of the *******e crowd. Even more tired that my tax dollars subsidize these cretins. You are aware that most red states are welfare states in that they get more from Wash. DC than they pay in federal taxes.

6. macrumors 68040

The mainstream right is getting more and more extreme in terms of social policy. It seems the goal is a society that resembles what it was in the 1800's. If the federal government doesn't become an evangelical, Christian totalitarian state then I'm starting to think lawmakers in these crazy states might start talking about succession.

7. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

You mean, "secession". ;) And I say let them. But if they secede, we let everyone out who wants out and then wall them off.

8. macrumors G5

yg17

Just let me pack my stuff and cross the Mississippi River into Illinois before Missouri secedes :p

9. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Better yet- vote these fools out of office. ;)

10. macrumors 6502a

What's the problem? Someone please explain it to me.

"My bill does not target a particular sexual orientation but instead says instruction or materials related to any sexual orientation should not take place in our public schools,"

So not bringing up ANY discussion of sexual orintation is gay hating? :rolleyes:

11. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Please tell me you're joking.

12. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

13. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Interesting how?

14. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

I don't know, I have mixed feelings on this so I thought it better just to say it was interesting :p. I do think it's a badly worded law that could affect a lot more classes than just the sex ed ones. Still, I don't think it's right for schools to be teaching anything beyond sexual development, safety, and reproduction when it comes to sexual education.

I'm not against homosexuality but I'm not sure how it fits into those categories outside of the usual "It's okay to be gay!" ten minute speech probably given during the development section that kids likely hear everyday anyway.

15. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

If some kid starts harassing another kid with two moms or dads in class, the teacher will not be able to address the issue, or they face jail time and fines. That is in no way OK.

16. macrumors 601

eawmp1

The proposed bill:
    The sponsor:
    Hate IS taught.

17. macrumors G5

yg17

He's from southeast Missouri. Why am I not surprised? That's where Rush Limbaugh grew up.

I-55 through the bootheel is lined with Jesus, "pro-family" and all sorts of other offensive billboards. It's a terrible part of the state. I drove through it once, never want to do it again.

St. Louis is the gateway to the west, but I consider Cape Girardeau the gateway to the south. Because that's the dividing line between sanity and inbred, racist, homophobic rednecks.

18. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Right there in the wording of the bill, it allows for discussion of heterosexual activity, even though it's in scientific terms. What happens if a kid asks about gay people in sex ed class? The teacher can't talk about it or goes to jail. What message does that send? Even when I was in 7th grade in the late 70's we could talk about gay people in class with the teacher. This bill is horrible.

19. Guest

eric/

This is where being politically correct gets us.

20. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Huh? How so?

21. macrumors 68000

Hastings101

The teacher can still punish the child just as he or she would when witnessing any harassment. I don't see how this law could possibly change that. Teachers don't give lectures about who was harassed and why every time a child is bullied, they deal with the children involved themselves or send them to an administrator.

22. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This has nothing to do with political correctness.

23. leekohler, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But the the teacher is forbidden from explaining why the harassment is wrong. And yes, teachers do discuss what the root issues are, unless things have changed that drastically. When I was in grade school, a girl was being harassed on the bus on the way to school because she was black. Our teacher gave the entire class a lecture on racism. Should she have been forbidden by law to do that since some kids' parents were racist?

24. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

How freaking condescending, insulting, and just appallingly ignorant.

Cute trick, that "human reproduction" phrase. Presumably, then, it would ban discussion of masturbation as well. No extracurricular activity? Okay, so no clubs for gays, or straight-gay alliances. Oh, and you know that gay kid who wants to commit suicide because of all the bullying? No counseling or support for him. You can't tell him that it's okay to be gay.

Hell, even a communications class couldn't talk about how ads use sex to sell, because that's not related to reproduction.

And I note that it says any public school, so not only primary and high school, but presumably college as well.

Wow. Just wow. It's amazing that these people aren't tarred and feathered.

25. macrumors 604

chrono1081

Pretend something doesn't exist and it'll go away!

Right??? Right????

/sarcasm

Seriously this is a step backwards. Teach it as if its NORMAL because it IS NORMAL. Some people are born straight, others are born gay.

Its no different than teaching that some people are born male, and some are born female.