Missouri Screwing Apple Buyers? Your take?

Discussion in 'Community' started by IndyGopher, May 25, 2004.

1. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

August 13-15, 2004 the state of Missouri is having a "Sales Tax Holiday" in which certain items will be exempt from state sales tax. Personal computers (desktop and portable) are among the items included. GREAT! The catch? The limit per computer is $2,000. This means no dual processor G5's, and only bottom-tier notebooks from Apple would qualify for the Tax Holiday. I am sure their argument will be that since the relief is intended for back-to-school supplies, the iMacs (except the 20") and iBooks are covered, and all that students should need. This is of course BS, but I would bet this will be their reasoning.

Am I out of line being upset by this, or should we all write Apple legal and see if they think this is discriminatory?

2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

wow, i should drive down to MO for my Birthday on august 13th. That does kind suck but are you sure these are the limits. but it seems like you'll be out of luck on a top of the line powermac. Maybe you can have someone buy a display that day seperately. Won't the stores be crazy?

3. IndyGopher thread starter macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

Yes, I am sure. Here is a link to the FAQ.

http://www.dor.state.mo.us/tax/business/sales/taxholiday/faq.htm#5

It won't matter at the Apple Store, since it is in Des Peres, MO, and all of Des Peres has declined to participate in the tax holiday. (Why a city is allowed to make that decision is another matter entirely, this is one screwed up state)

4. legion macrumors 6502a

Yes, you are out of line (and also it seems a bit paranoid.) Try to examine the purpose of this "holiday" and grow up. Florida does a similar tax holiday weekend with similar restrictions for back to school and New York has tax-free policies on clothing, IIRC, for anything under $120. Does that mean New York is anti-Gucci? Does it mean they are against all of 5th Ave.? Just be glad you have any kind of "tax holiday"; growing up in Missouri for 18 years, the state never had it before. (Of course, now I live in a state with higher prices in gas, higher tax rates, and a higher cost of living-- but at least I have 5 Apple Stores within a few miles.)

5. IndyGopher thread starter macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

The point here is I can walk into CompUSA and buy one of about 90% of the Windows machines, and get the tax break, but the same would not apply to the Apples. Are you saying that Apple doesn't offer any additional use for it's higher prices? (strictly status, as your Gucci comment implies) Or are you saying that my son doesn't deserve equal treatment under the law because he uses an Apple?

6. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well, they just want to exclude non-school equipment. I'm sure if there wasn't the $2000 limit people would buy Alienwares for school when all they're doing is Word and email. It's just easier than saying "any computer you want, as long as you can prove it's academic related." $2000 is a decent limit. You can get iBooks for that price. But this is all moot since someone mentioned Des Peres is not participating in said tax holiday.

But ya, I've had worse discrimination where people just downright hate me off the bat because I use a Mac. I think Apple needs to address this themselves in some sort of marketing ploy.

7. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

that is my birthday~~!!!

8. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

If you can afford a G5 2.0, then you don't need any help. If you're a middle class student, it's welcome news indeed.
    Quit complaining.

9. legion macrumors 6502a

"under the law"-- I think you still miss the point of this. It's to give low-middle income families a break for education. It's kind of like leveling the playing field for the kids. If you can afford a +$2000 computer, then buy it. You're not entitled to anything. Gucci and such are not necessarily status symbols to some people (many Diesel jeans cost more than a $120, but they fall outside of the tax break for NY and I know plenty of kids who wear them), it's just to consider what is reasonable. Maybe they should give everyone a tax break on computers for everything up to $2000 and the rest is taxable. Maybe that's a workable solution. However, having worked for a multi-state and international retail company, dealing with tax issues is hard enough from both a goverment standpoint and a company standpoint.

If your son uses an Apple, buy a cheaper model. It's that simple. If you want the more expensive ones, shell out for it and stop complaining. Apple offers an educational discount anyway that is greater than the tax in Missouri. At some point, all things become luxury goods. Expect to pay the price for them.

BTW, you do realize that sales tax goes to your local community. It funds the local community, very little of it goes to the county or even the state. That's why cities can opt-out of holidays like this because it hurts the local economy (or in one state, I know that only the county tax was suspended for the holiday in some communities, since the city still need the money)

10. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Oh dear. Where my parents live, a suburb of Denver, neither the city nor county, and no, not even the state, levies sales tax on grocery items, but instead tax rate of 3.8% is attached to all other goods. So this must mean they're discrimating against people who possess enough money to purchase anything outside of what's dictated by sheer basic necessity! Why, that's communism! Tax all or tax none, anything else is a violation of constitutional guarantees!

Boyo, if you're gonna bitch about equal treatment, then perhaps you should immerse yourself in the issues to which that principle is vastly more pertinent before you worry about the two hundred some-odd dollars you'll be saving over the long term anyhow by buying a high-quality product and not some POS PC.

(If it turns out the Missouri government implemented the tax break with malice toward Mac users, I'll wholeheartedly support you hightailing it to Jefferson City and giving Bob Holden a swift kick in the ass.)

11. yuc7zhd2 macrumors regular

I have to say, I don't feel bad for missouri residents at all. If you have cash for a pro computer, then you have cash for the tax too. Its really too bad that people who have enough cash for a luxury item and more than enough for food and housing have to pay 100 to 200 extra on taxes. They should start taxing homeless people on sidewalk space so that computer buyers can live easier.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just because something affects apple doesn't mean it's discriminatory. they didn't set the $2k limit, saying "ha ha, this will screw apple and their fans because their machines are more expensive." :rolleyes:

it's equal treatment under the law - everyone has to stay below the conditions set forth. if they made exceptions for apple buyers, then that would, in fact, be not equal treatment. the fact Macs cost more isn't the lawmakers' problem.

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    wish i could take advantage of that
    maybe get an ipod mini :) woohoo

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I idea is to save people some money who normally can't afford a computer. Any that has over $2000 to spend on a computer doesn't really have to worry about the tax break if they really want a mac.

15. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Boo hoo, they are giving out special deals that they don't have to and I don't get one. Honestly, be glad they are doing any kind of tax break. Its not like you are entitled to it. Nothing bothers me more than people who get things cheap/free and then complain about how they don't get more stuff.