MIT OpenCourseWare

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Nov 10, 2003.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Oooooooh.... this looks very interesting....

I'd love to do the Hypermedia MA at Westminster, but I don't really have the time to give up fulltime work to pursue an MA...

So I'm thinking that this MIT OpenCourseWare thing, might satisfy my thirst for knowledge until my situation changes!
  2. yamadataro macrumors 6502

I saw a New York Times article on this MIT offering a while ago, and checked it out a coupla times. But still can't really figure out if this is good for do-it-yourself learning.

Well, maybe I should go and check it out again now...

It's a beautiful idea after all !
  3. yamadataro macrumors 6502

Oh! It looks like the site has complete everything from syllabus to assignments to lecture notes now!

Well, some lecture notes are very brief, and some others are in detail in PDF format.

I think just checking the reading list and resource links for each course are worth visiting the site though.

EDIT: WOW! It's got bunch of photo gallery and video streaming of the materials used in the lectures too. Some of them even have the actual video footage of the lectures!
  4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I think it's pretty amazing really...

For someone like myself, who spends 12 hours a day, 7 days a week designing and working on projects, I simply don't have time to commit to part-time course, never mind a full-time one.

I've always been into teaching myself new stuff, all of my software skills are self taught (the technical side, not the creative one) and the experience of being a Lecturer to BA(Hons) and MA courses means that I've frequently had to go out and research new subject matter to a high level of competence. But the ability to actually have access to MIT materials etc etc, is to me, really invaluable when my current situation is taken into account.

Now I just need to set some time so I can sit down and start planning what I want to do.

5. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i bookmarked it

MIT is a great techie school here in the states, and is perhaps the best we have

what schools are good for technically related subjects in the UK?

and are there any good schools you know who use macs?:D