Mitsubishi's electric Evo

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Aug 25, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

A whopping 382lb ft at each wheel :D although a less impressive 67bhp at each wheel, but ssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you probably wouldn't notice. ;)

At last though, a proper electric car :D none of this Prius crap. :p

Rinky dink link

The one thing I will suggest though, if Mitsubishi want to shed some weight, maybe they ought to start with those hideous graphics down the side of the thing, and paint it black too. ;)

2. lopresmb macrumors 6502

yeah, but you gotta plug that sucka in though, that is really lame. We had an electric car back at college, and its no good, cause you can't recharge except one spot and it took forever, and electricity is expensive.

don't knock the prius too hard, getting 50 MPG and being able to fill up andwhere in the world just like any other car is pretty stinking cool

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Impressive car. I agree with lopresmb though, in that the Prius is equally as good, if not better despite having such giving performance. :)

4. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

LOL and ditch the wing too. Looked cool on the V & VI but the current ones are too regular-looking to carry that on the back IMO.

lopresmb: The Prius is a great car technically, but why don't they make it a great car visually? Then it would really sell like the proverbial hot cake. I'm sure there's some 'image' reason they didn't make it look cooler, but to attract more buyers it needs to look nicer than another, grey, Japanese hatchback. Maybe lump that wing from the Evo on to it or something!

5. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

The prius is a slow piece of crap that gets 50mpg in the city and worse highway. If you want a slow piece of crap that gets good mileage get a 5spd geo metro. 55mpg and about the same "performance" as a prius. And a heck of a lot cheaper. At least this evo has the power to make it move. Essentially it has over 250hp if you combine the wheels.

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

7. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Is it right though to calculate something without an 'engine' as having BHP?

Shouldn't it be something like 1.21 Jiggawatts...???

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

From a performance standpoint, the huge unsprung weight added by the motors must be bad...

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Horsepower and ~watts actually measure the same thing (power) so I'm not sure I understand your question. Here in Australia, we abandoned BHP ages ago and focus solely on kilowatts now. :)

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That sounds a good idea. It's weird trying to associate BHP with an 'electric' car. It sounds wrong. BHP sounds right for a combustion engine. Just an idiosyncrasy I guess.

So how does the BHP > KW translate. Whats a 600BHP Carrera GT come out as?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

1 kW = 1.34 BHP.

So the 600BHP Carrera GT is a little under 450kW. :)

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

awesome idea, neat technology... but they need to do something about that paint job ;) :D

13. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Still sounds meaty enough. :)

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I like the move to AWD and the fact that their design makes things a little smaller.

It will only be a matter of time when individual motors at each wheel will be capable of 100HP or more - and then we'll start to see some better performance.

But the only problem with these things is the damn batteries......

D

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    finally!

i've been looking into alternative fuels for cars and have a problem with the increasingly popular hybrids. they're a good start, but still way way behind where we need to be right now. i've actually been thinking of buying a diesel and getting it to run on vegetable oil, completely legal here. and there's plenty of restaurants around where i can get used oil!

maybe i missed it in the link, but when is this going to be available, if at all???? i'd buy one, for sure, and i'd even buy a different mitsubishi on the strength of this, until the evo comes out.

i'm so excited about this, fantastic stuff!

16. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

The part that I found interesting was Mitsubishi's quest to be able to independently control power and torque at eash wheel, this has this potential to make an almost perfect neutrally handling car, with no detectable signs of oversteer or understeer. :D

Imagine taking a bend at any speed in any conditions and BAM!!! the car responds... withouth even the slightest hint of instability or over/understeer. Fantastic. :D

17. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Especially if they look like this... :D

I think the operative word is... menacing. ;) :D

18. mpw Guest

111mph top speed is more than enough to make electric cars 'acceptable' to the consumer but what about the two things they don't mention: Price & Range?
    I've just posted my ideal min. spec. for an electric car across in the 250mpg thread.

What would make you consider an electric car?

19. mpw Guest

What wrong with using a horse as a unit of measurement?

OT:- Ever notice how many German cars are claimed to have 192bhp?

20. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

One that sounds like a V12... and goes like one too. ;)

I like the system that BMW are developing for their cars, electrical motors that are used in tandem with a conventional engines, a series of capacitors (I think) store electricity so that when you floor it, the electrical motors cut in delivery a SERIOUS torque increase slashing SERIOUS seconds off the acceleration times, they're recharged instantly and provide somewhere in the region of 10 seconds or so of additional 'boost'.

Imagine it in an M5. :D

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can barely understand why they still use HP today in regular cars, let alone in electric cars. Everybody should start using Watts because its the international unit for power, not horses. Using HP today is very abstract for the large majority of people who have never rode on a horse before, or gotten close enough to one to pet it for over 20 seconds.

22. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

You don't need to have ridden on a horse to understand what HP is :p :p :p

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I second that! :D

24. mpw Guest

Brown sauce? :confused:

25. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

And we all know than no matter how many horses you have, they will not be able to run at 88mph....