Mitt Romney: Democrats 'just don't like business very much'

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, May 3, 2012.

1. macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- one lie after another here, without one bit of substance or mention of policy. Just the same old trickle down BS that got us here in the first place. This is really bad, folks. Democrats don't like business? REALLY? And don't you just love the pandering to women after what the Teapublicans have been pulling lately?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...e-business-very-much-20120502,0,1493026.story

2. macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, the Bush tax cuts weren't enough? Things would be better if GWB had done more?

(edit) Oh, and opposing everything President Obama has done without offering alternative solutions is the same thing as saying we should just go back to GWB.

3. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It's just amazing how vacuous he is in that article. There's absolutely NOTHING there. Let's see- taxes are the lowest they've been in decades. That's obviously not working, but let's do it some more? Wow. And just exactly what policies has Obama put in place to hurt small business? I'd like to know.

4. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Well, keep in mind that the "small businesses" that Romney cares about aren't the mom and pop businesses, but the S-Corps and LLCs like Lehman Brothers and other massively wealthy small companies.

5. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

I guess Republicans view increasing tax on personal income of millionaires as an attack on small business owners. I guess the reasoning is that some small business owners take income from business as personal income instead of paying themselves (and employees) a salary from the business. This is often the case when paying employees "under the table" is a better/only option than reporting business income properly.

No matter what, it is all about greed.

6. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Again, it's an S-Corp thing. If your S-Corp makes a billion dollars, that money flows through to the shareholders as ordinary income (untaxed at the corporate level).

7. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

And let's not forget Bain Capital.

8. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hey, let's not be cynical... ;)

9. macrumors 65816

Sedulous

Privately owned small companies don't always have shareholders.

10. macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Okay, Mittens, I'm not seeing it.

This is just going to be another one of those things Romney is going to concoct from whole cloth, and try to run with.

If you don't have anything on your opponent, make **** up.

11. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

No- as with Bush, the strategy is simply to blatantly lie.

12. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Not sure who I'm stealing this from but Romney is a pyromaniac in a field of straw men.

EDIT: William F. Buckley said it.

13. thekev, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012

macrumors 603

thekev

May I ask why you'd want a small privately held business set up as an S-corp? I'm aware that they exist, but I'm unfamiliar with the advantages of structuring that way if we're talking about a business with 10 employees and one or two owners or something of that sort.

I like that quote. I wish I could claim it:mad:.

In some ways it's not a lie. Republicans claim they'll take the opposite strategy. The problem is that they wish to do this more to differentiate themselves than anything else. I think we're approaching the territory once again of telling the truth on what they wish to do while lying about the projected results. It should also be obvious that he's not even remotely sympathetic to small business given the way that Bane Capital ran perfectly legitimate profitable businesses into the ground.

14. macrumors 68020

applesith

O's policies increased my small business's taxes and healthcare costs. Vote that guy out!!

15. thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

How did something Obama did impact your business?

16. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

17. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Really? How? If you have a group insurance policy, your premiums did not go up because of Obama care, they went up because the insurance companies raised their rates before they were restricted from doing so. How did your taxes go up?

18. macrumors 68000

hulugu

That's interesting. Can you tell us more about your business and how your taxes and healthcare costs increased?

19. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Mitt Romney on Monday morning: Horrible how President Obama is politicizing bin Laden's death.

Mitt Romney on Monday afternoon: Photo op in front of NYC firehouse on anniversary of bin Laden's death with Rudy Giuliani.

And now Mitt had jumped in and politicized the Chen Guangcheng situation while Sect. Clinton is in China and likely negotiating about this.

20. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Mitt might want to change his ad showing the long line for the unemployment office... then again, he might not, as if he is elected, that's exactly where we will end up again.

[​IMG]

21. macrumors 68040

Based upon the political debates in this country, one would think everyone is either a communist or a libertarian -- with nothing in between.

22. macrumors 68000

hulugu

Truly, the dipole nature of the political conversation is painful.

23. macrumors 68020

localoid

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words." *

* Syme, a worker specializing in language, at the Ministry of Truth, in the novel, Nineteen Eighty-Four.

24. macrumors 6502a

GIZBUG

Chicago Tribune, like most main stream media, heavy left bias. Not surprised with this article.......

25. macrumors G3

Huntn

I too would like to hear some details, not just an accusation. :)