Mix, Match, RAM?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jod8301, Jun 6, 2005.

1. jod8301 macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've visited the site a couple times in the past and picked up a G5 2.7 about two weeks ago. I'm using it mainly for school...which has me working with After Effects, Maya, and some other animation/effects programs. I want to add some more RAM to it. I've bought all my RAM for previous computers through Crucial...and plan to purchase from them this time too.

My question...well, questions...are as follows:

1- PC3200 VS PC4000? Over $160 more for the 2GB PC4000 kit than the 2GB PC3200 kit...is there that much of a difference?

2- Seeing that I have 8 RAM slots to fill and I want to break the 2.5 GB barrier...I could buy the cheaper, smaller sticks of RAM and just fill in the slots and upgrade down the road as larger sized RAM becomes cheaper or I could buy the 2GB kit and just fill in one bank. Any suggestions? (Please forgive me if this seems silly...I guess when it comes down to it, it's not a big price difference playing the mix and match game...)

Any advice or help would be appreciated...

Thank you in advance,

John

2. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Yes, there's a difference. The PC4000 is faster ram. However, it won't do a bit of good in the PowerMac because the PowerMac is only set up to take advantage of PC3200.

The only thing you may gain by getting PC4000 ram, is the possibility of using it in your next computer. I wouldn't spend $160 for that privilege.

You should purchase the highest density ram you can. It's better performance than getting lots of little pieces. I don't think there is a huge difference getting 2 1GB modules vs 4 512MB modules.

3. jod8301 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...that's funny...Crucial.com claims it can run it. Whoops....I guess that solves that. Thanks for the input.