mixed burn results with iDVD 4 - help!!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by continuum, Dec 31, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

I've already done searches of threads here and found random threads pertaining to mostly older versions of iDVD....so.....

I have a video I made in iMovie (newest version) with footage imported from my DV cam. I sent this movie to iDVD and have had nothing but problems. I have successfully burned two movies prior to this one that I am having problems with. The only difference that I can tell with this one is that I've used more transitions/effects/titles than in movies made before and I added some Crucial memory bumping me up to 1.25gb on a single 1.6ghz G5.

I've burned three DVD-R's with this newest movie and on the first two the video stopped just a minute or two before the end of the movie but the audio kept going. On the third I tried to burn, it did it's thing and resulted in a buffer underrun error and appears to have only burned maybe half of the movie. I haven't watched this one yet to verify but it appears the "burn" on the disc is half the width of the other all-but-completed discs.

I've tried different combinations of burning at "best quality" or "highest performance" in the preferences of iDVD. I've deleted encoded assets. I've turned off my power saving things in the Mac's system prefs....

I'm assuming it's either the memory or the bulk of transitions/effects in this movie...

Any thoughts?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ditch the new RAM, and then try again and see what happens. The most probable thing would be that you got bad RAM (it happens) and will simply have to get it replaced by Crucial. If the burn works without the RAM, there is your problem. Good luck! :)

3. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

I guess I'll have to give that a try. I haven't had any other problems that would seem to be RAM related though.

What about the iDVD Easter egg/hack that allows burning to a disk image? Could I do that and burn through Toast?

I'm still going to try removing the memory...

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

There's a good chance that you haven't had any other memory related issues with your computer because you haven't filled up all of your memory, except for when you burn DVDs. It probably loads as much of the DVD as it can into memory before it burns it, so it pushes the memory full, and uses the bad part of the new piece. Luckily, memory is not too too hard to get at, so it shouldn't be too tough a task. Have fun. ;)

5. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

I did an Apple hardware test on my Mac with all the memory in it. It passed the test. I still removed the memory though to try a burn and it did something completely different this time.... The disc burned to what looks like a full burn as compared to those other two burns that just missed the ending by a few minutes. I could play the movie from the start and it would play fine. If I skipped ahead track by track, though, the audio would play but the video stuck on whatever was on the screen at the time of hitting the skip track button on the remote. Also, if I went to the "select chapter menu" on the DVD and picked a chapter, the audio would play for that chapter but the video would stay stuck on the chapter menu.

In an effort to save a DVD, I did use the iDVD easter egg/hack and burned to a disk image. I played it on my Mac via the Video_TS folder and had the results mentioned above. So I burned the image to disk in Toast and was hoping for better results but got what's mentioned above. I assume that if I burned straight to disk in iDVD that the same thing would have happened... I guess I should try it and probably ruin another DVD.