Mixing iMac Core/MacBook Pro RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by corranroh, Feb 22, 2006.

1. corranroh macrumors newbie

Are the SO-DIMM memory modules the same on the iMac Core Duo and the MacBook Pro? I would like to take 1GB out of my iMac and put it in a MacBook Pro and wondered if they were identical RAM modules? Thank you.

2. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

They're exactly the same type, according to Apple's product pages for the iMac and MBP.

3. corranroh thread starter macrumors newbie

Great... with that info I just submitted an order for a MBP 2.16, exciting stuff! Going to transfer 1GB of RAM from my Intel iMac when it gets here. Thanks again.

4. generik macrumors 601

generik

The iMac uses the small SODIMMs too? I'd expect they use desktop sized memory modules :confused:

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

No, oddly enough they use Laptop memory. So, yes the Macbook Pro RAM should be compatible.

6. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

When I recieved my iMac RAM I was set back because I thought datamem sent me the wrong RAM but I installed it and it works fine so I can clerify they are the same

7. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Yeah when I bought my Intel iMac, the guy at the store sold me desktop ram for something else... idiot.

I returned it, got a full refund, and ordered the ram (the laptop ram) from the states.