Miyamoto Interview about Zelda

Discussion in 'Games' started by mrgreen4242, Mar 30, 2006.

1. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

There's an interview with Miyamoto about Zelda (both TP and the new DS game) right here.

The things that I found most interesting were that they considered an online Zelda at some point, but went back to the drawing board since they didn't want to/couldn't do another Four Swords game... AND... He didn't outright dismiss the idea of Phantom Hourglass (DS Zelda) having a WiFi component, which to me means they are probably at least considering it at this point.

I'm not sure how they would be able to adapt what looks to be a pretty 'standard' Zelda adventure to a multiplayer game without either making it Four Swords co-op or just tacking something onto it for the sake of putting it on the WiFi service...

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'd love Four Swords-style co-op on Phantom Hourglass. The top down style would be perfect for it.

However, the link isn't working...

3. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Looks like the link was hammered by digg... it might come back up eventually, I suppose. I should have copied the whole article here, as I knew it was on digg (it's where I saw it). Anyways, one of the things he mentioned about an online Zelda was that it was somethign they considered/are considering. At first they thought a Four Swords style game would be a good match, of course, but changed thier minds due to 1) having released 3 Four Games in the past 2 or 3 years they though it might have been getting a bit old, and 2) they have ended thier Zelda relationship with Capcom, who made the Four Swords games.

He did go on to say that it was still under consideration, but didn't mention any specific plans. When asked about a Nintendo WiFi aspect in the Phantom Hourglass he responded that we'd have to wait for E3 to find out. Generally if they [Nintendo] aren't going to do something they just say so up front. Like HD on the Rev, they didn't pretend like they might do it, they just said No and that was that.

With the 'return' to the top down Zelda view, and the Wind Waker style (which Four Swords borrowed from a bit, in terms of the style and animation) perhaps this IS a multiplayer Zelda? Or at least has a multiplayer element to it.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. At first I wanted an online Zelda in a bad way. But the more I think on it, the more I realize that I can't think of a single good way to pull it off without losing a lot of what Zelda is. I suppose they could make a Diable style game, with a shared overworld/outpost environment and instanced dungeons that small groups can go into. That would take out a lot of the puzzle solving/adventuring of the game though, and the pics/video we've seen of PH so far don't really look like that sort of game.

Ah well, I will try to find the text of that interview to post here.

4. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I can't find a copy anywhere. Everyone on the internet seems to have linked it, but no one mirrored it. Which I assume is why the account has been suspended. :p Hopefully it will reappear sooner rather than later.

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I think with the experience they've gained from doing the Mario Party games, I'm sure Nintendo could pull off puzzles and such for multiple players. It's all about teamwork :cool:

7. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, having read the article I can definitely say it at least claimed to be with Miyamoto, not Aonuma. Wether it was real or not, I can't say. There was nothing funny or odd that made it an obvious joke or prank.

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I have other people who read it before it went down and say it was Aonuma too.

9. mrgreen4242 thread starter macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Well, I am 100% that when I read it, it was claiming to be with Miyamoto. I know this because I copy/pasted the name so I didn't misspell it. Perhaps he edited the story to get more traffic to a fake, or to make it seem more credible.