mkv (and other formats) screenshot thumbnails in Finder

Discussion in 'OS X' started by kanketsu, Mar 16, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Hello,

I have Perian 1.1 installed. As you can see in the attached screenshots, the .avi files now show their respective screencaps in Finder. But the .mkv only show as VLC icons. Is there a way to make it appear naturally like the avi files?
    (actual screenshots instead of generic icons)

P.S. It should be mentioned that the .mkv can be played in Quicklook (although it somehow strains my Macbook).

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 601

Krafty

3. thread starter macrumors member

Both quicktime player & quicklook.

The .mp4 files which show as generic icons won't play in QL/QT, though.

4. macrumors 65816

Quicklook or Quicktime? I can play MKVs in Quicktime, but they need to fully load before i can play them, and even then, they are a little stuttery, they play much better in VLC.

5. thread starter macrumors member

Both. No thumbnails in Finder, though - just generic icons.

6. macrumors 603

richard.mac

download Perian and install it. then set your mkvs to always open with QuickTime Player in their get info window. then download Perian Type Installer and install.

7. thread starter macrumors member

richthomas, I've already installed Perian 1.1. But I followed what you said anyway (the second & third step, although when I opened Peian Type Installer, it said that .mkv is already installed). Unfortunately the result is not very pretty: some generic icons, albeit different ones.

Attached Files:

8. macrumors 603

richard.mac

hold the option key and right click on the mkv files and choose "Always open with -> QuickTime Player". if QuickTime Player isnt in the list click "Other…" and choose it in the window that opens.

9. thread starter macrumors member

That's exactly what I did. I'm afraid the result is what I posted in previous post's attachment. I restarted the Macbook twice to see if they would somehow"refresh" their thumbnails.. alas, no such luck.

10. macrumors 603

richard.mac

do they play with QuickTime? i dont have any mkvs atm but when i did some had Quick Look previews and some had an MKV QuickTime icon from the Perian Type Installer. try removing mkv from the Perian Type Installer and just use VLC to open it or QuickTime using open with.

ill backup one of my DVDs to mkv using HandBrake now and report back to tell you if they have an icon.

11. macrumors newbie

CrashRay

That doesn't work in my Mac also.
    But it will be great :D
    [​IMG]

12. macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeah my mkv file doesnt have an icon preview but it opens in QuickTime Player fine. i recall that flvs and avis have icon previews.

13. thread starter macrumors member

14. macrumors newbie

same here,
    i can't even got proper icon preview, got some "white document" or "exec" icons ... :mad:

15. macrumors 603

richard.mac

i found this guide which tells you how to get mkvs to play in Quick Look. but apparently theres currently no way to make mkvs have icon previews.

have you followed the steps above to make mkvs have a QuickTime icon?

16. macrumors newbie

oh:D, i missed the perian's type installer, thanks!
    hmm, that's left me the thumbnails fix and it's all i want:)

17. macrumors 603

richard.mac

read my last post :)

18. macrumors newbie

i have gone through that post :)
    i really insist that Apple should put more effort to develop Quick Look ...

19. macrumors 603

richard.mac

Mac OS X's QuickTime layer only supports mpeg natively just like Windows only supports wmv natively.

mkv, divx etc are open source so Apple doesnt have to support them and either does Microsoft. codec packs like k-lite enable windows to play open source codecs and Perian allows these codecs to play in QuickTime in OS X. of course theres also VLC which is open source and plays all these codecs too.

for mkv icon previews its up to an open source developer to create a Quick Look plug-in. maybe Perian will develop a Quick Look plug-in in its next release?

20. thread starter macrumors member

21. macrumors newbie

http://www.quicklookplugins.com/2007/12/16/mkv-matroska-video-files/

this plist edit of quicktime shown above allows quicklook to view mkv files. there is a bit of a glitch when watching mkvs in finder coverflow but the video play fine.

however....

the icons still don't show with a preview of the file (thumbnail) like the other file formats such as .mpeg, .mov, .mp4 and even .avi. Is this because Perian has to load the entire mkv into memory?

22. macrumors newbie

lately, i find that the icon preview can solved by simply convert the mkv to mov. but i wonder if there will be any disadvantages doing in this way?
    afaik, it's just the change of container, but will the quality of video and audio, and the extend functions like subtitle be affected? i'm not quite familiar, please someone share, thanks!

23. macrumors 603

richard.mac

um… i linked that same page and explained that icon previews for .mkv are still not possible in post #15.

did you save it as a self-contained movie with QuickTime Pro or did you simply give it a ".mov" extension. if the later then there wont be any quality loss and this could be the "work-around" for giving .mkv an icon preview.

24. macrumors newbie

25. macrumors 68000

Have you tried renaming the file to .avi? Im not in OSX right now so I cant try it, but it works fine in Windows when you have mkv or ogg's that wont create thumbnails despite playing fine in WMP. Quicktime might be more picky about file extensions unlike WMP which could care less, if the extension is not exactly right then it may just give an error, so I dont know if it works.
    The disadvantage would be if you ever need to play it in Windows then you are **** out of luck. It will just give an error and theres no way to fix it afterwards. So I would never do that to files I want to keep for years, you never know what OS you might be using or have to use. I have one file I did that to that I wish I didnt. Quicktime for Windows has no third party codecs and probably never will, this is all Apple's fault for making Quicktime so closed off to the rest of the world and not using installed codecs that all the other players use.