Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I've successfully ripped over 50 Blu ray titles using Make MKV and encoding to m4v files for ATV3 playback using handbrake. i use the ATV3 preset at an RF of 20. the overall final product looks great for the most part, however in dark scenes or smokey scenes, it appears pixelated or flared. is there any other setting i can use to combat this? a good example is zero dark thirty towards the end when theyre invading bin laden's compound.

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The bitrate is too low. Just go higher, but it might become too heavy for the ATV. It is the same reason why iTunes downloads look worse than BR's.

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
what setting do i use to go higher on the bitrate? is it the RF slider?

----------

i see the bitrate is at 2500 for the ATV3 preset. what should it be at?

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
While I wasn't there when they filmed Zero Dark, the film crew may have switched to standard military SD video equipment to film all of the night vision scenes, to make things more realistic? That could result in conversion problems, switching from HD to SD?

I'm having similar issues when converting Rock concert films with smoke and many moving lights. I'm not sure when to use DeNoise VS Deblock. I guess it depends on the source, film, VHS, digital 2007, digital 2012.

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
fair point. yeah i tried denoise on moderate and it did nothing.

kcaruso

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
so i just put the bitrate up from 2500 to 3500 and see no difference. is that not enough of a bump up?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Have you verified that the blocking that you see is not also seen when you play the movie directly from disc? I use the same process and HB preset as you for ripping BR's and have not run into blocking in dark scenes. I have read other experience of having video artifacts in original material.

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Are you just changing the bitrate or are you changing the RF slider?

If you change the bitrate but dont actually have that option selected, the number will do nothing.

Try using the normal preset, then move the RF slider to 18 and see if it fixes it. At this point it should look great (Thats what I had mine set as, and my ZDT rip looks fantastic).

StinDaWg

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2012
I watched the Blu-ray and the invasion scene doesn't look good in the source. There's banding/blocking and whether that was intentional or not I don't know, but changing the crf isn't going to do anything to improve things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.