.MKV files

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by JzzTrump22, Jul 19, 2004.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

i just finished downloading torrent which is a .mkv file. I opened up VLC media player to play it and all i get is audio, no video. I heard that there is no reason to install codecs for VLC because it plays almost any type of file. Anyone know how to get this thing to work?

If it won't work on mac, i could always try to get it to work on my pc.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Just to let you know, a lot a people are now going to post and tell you that what are doing is illegal, and that they won't help you.

My answer however is, I don't know.

Perhaps the real DVD version of Harry Potter 3 will work fine on your computer, or better yet, seeing it in a theater will be guaranteed to work.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

4. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I know, this is like the first time i cross posted. i just wasn't getting answers in the other forum. Sorry.
    Laslo Panaflex, Sorry if this upsets you, but i'm not the only one using bittorrent. Thousands of other people use it, and i even read a few posts on this website that discussed who uses it and what tracker they use. You can't possible sit there and say you never downloaded something off the web or program like limewire, kazaa, aquisition. Come on man! Wake up and smell the coffee. Just because i am using bittorrent doesn't mean i'm doing anything different then any other person that dl's things, i'm just using a different method.

5. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

That doesn't make it any more legal or any more appropriate for a commercial website. There are plenty of other sites out there for finding illegal file-sharing information.

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I wasn't saying what you are doing is right or wrong, I was just giving you some of my advice on how to view Harry Potter 3. I don't think any less of anyone that commits pircacy, I just think there is a time and a place to discuss it, and this is not the place. Why don't you go post on Warez sites to get help, they will probably help you without hassle.

As for your excuse of everybody does it, so you don't feel bad doing it, you should, becuase someone somewhere is being affected, not just rich people that don't need the money.

The worst excuse I have ever heard is of people saying that "I wouldn't see the movie in the theater anyway, so it's not like they are losing money". The reason: if there was not an internet, and you couldn't see it by any other means but the theater, there is strong possiblity that one might see it in the theater, becuase there is an interest in it the film in the first place, if you take the time and effort in downloading, then troubleshooting how to get it to work.

I mean is it really worth is for Harry Potter?, it's fricken HARRY POTTER!

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't be dissing harry potter man! lol. I see what what your saying. I saw it in the theatre when it first came out. I am planning on purchasing the movie when it makes it to dvd as well. I understand what your saying about how people will see it illegally then say it's not worth money to pay to see meanwhile they will keep it. I'm not like that. I paid to see it. I enjoyed it and am going to buy the real dvd when it is released. I'm also not using it to make a profit either. It's for my own personal use.