MKV in QuickTime with Perian: not working

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by frenchtony, Jan 17, 2013.

1. frenchtony, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

macrumors member

Hi!

I'm fairly new to mac, and I've been trying to read some MKV videos.
    I of course tried VLC (which works), but I want to use QuickTime because VLC uses the Discrete graphic card on a MBP, while QuickTime stays on the Integrated one (which saves the battery...).
    Since I'm going to watch videos while on a train, I don't want to watch my videos on the NVidia card...

Back to my problem: I installed Perian on my system, and when I try to play a MKV movie in QuickTime, it doesn't work.
    More specificaly, it displays the correct length of the movie, I can see the images if I move the slider forward, but the play button does not play the movie.

Did anybody get this problem before? Am I right in expecting Perian + QT to be able to play MKV movies?

Thanks!

Antoine

2. thread starter macrumors member

I may actually rephrase my question(s):

- Does anyone got his QuickTime + Perian working with MKV files (in which case I'll know the problem comes from me, I'll re-install Perian or something)

- Does anyone use another video player that uses the integrated graphic card

Thanks!

3. iThinksimple, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013

macrumors member

iThinksimple