Mkv to Mpg converter?

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by bobright, Dec 19, 2012.

1. macrumors 601

I am coming over from Windows having used mkv2vob, is there any similar free alternatives for OSX?

2. macrumors newbie

Handbrake can convert Mkv files to MP4.

3. macrumors regular

rezwits

Hmm

MacX Video Converter Pro 3.5.0

It may seem like a quick video compressor fake, but I tried to find a VOB MPG compressor to make videos work to my Directv, and this little sucker, pulled it off with in-sync audio.

Not mention other tabs for other video projects I tried in the past...

4. macrumors newbie

5. thread starter macrumors 601

Hmm weird I tried all these and all when converted played back choppy with clicking sound/blocky video playback. I even tried opening them with VLC. Is it just that the Mac is not capable of playing it back? Perhaps on a PS3 they'll play correctly? This a 720p HD file I'm trying to convert. I may be doing something wrong. I seriously wish mkv2vob worked for Mac it's very frustrating not being able to convert this file. :mad::eek:

6. macrumors 65816

When you use Handbrake make sure you check the box for "Large File Size" it will fix the choppy play.

7. macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    Handbrake is indeed the one to use but try playback in MPlayerX instead of VLC.
    it plays all my 720p and 1080p flicks just fine

http://mplayerx.org

if that still don't do it for you, then perhaps your Mac is underpowered for the task?

8. thread starter macrumors 601

I appreciate the assistance guys but you know what? I found an alternative while searching and searching before I saw this thread its a port of Mkv2vob for OSX. It really is great software it worked flawlessly. No choppy playback and it just changed the container to mpg also still has DTS audio. :)

Edit: here is the link of anybody comes across this thread and needs it http://sourceforge.net/projects/mkv2vobmac/files/

9. halledise, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012

macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    cheers big ears :D

eeeew - it's horrible - it's like, so PeeCee back slash (\) - Windoze :(

10. thread starter macrumors 601

Nice, glad it helped somebody converted perfectly right? :cool:

11. macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012