Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
Upgraded my imac from Lion to Mountain Lion and lost most of my files, bookmarks, music, photos, etc. Contacts was about the only thing that made the move. I visited the genius bar where the "genius" shrugged his shoulders and told me "gee, I haven't heard about that happening." Restored imac from time capsule. Installed ML to my MBP and it was flawless. So I decided to give ML another try on my imac. Same result...all files gone except contacts. Restored again. Any ideas.....I'm not fond of the idea of dragging a 27" imac into the apple store.

cbakes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2012
I'm not even certain I know what that means!

I just read another posting that gave advice for performing a clean install. Can you clarify what that means and why I should do that? Why was the upgrade from lion to ML flawless on my macbook pro, but a total flop on my imac? Any advice/info is much appreciated.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
We don't know, but doing a clean install by erasing your iMac's HDD, installing OS X 10.8 from a thumb drive or dual layer DVD and then restoring from your time machine backup as you've already done might get you somewhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.