ML Hibernation Pauses Active Programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by martinm0, Aug 3, 2012.

1. martinm0, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

macrumors 6502

After upgrading to Mountain Lion this weekend I started noticing that active programs I have running like Handbrake seem to go into hibernation when the computer sleeps. Instead of completing the conversion over the course of the night as it usually does, I'm finding it still active and running when I wake the computer in the morning (presumably it isn't running all night long, but starting up again when I wake the machine).

Anyone else run into this? Happened last night when I was running Pavtube Bluray Ripper as well. Came home after work and found the movie only ~40% done after starting it nearly 18 hours before hand.

Note: this is happening on a current gen iMac 21" 2.5 i5.

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone?

Bump. Anyone else able to confirm if this is happening to you too? Still happening under a fresh 2012 27" iMac. Thanks.

3. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

I just disable sleep when performing those activities. Then Restore Defaults in Energy Settings when done.

4. macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

With Lion and previous versions of OS X, the computer was kept awake by checking for disk activity. So tasks such as converting videos kept the computer awake until they were done.

In Mountain Lion this behaviour was changed, the OS now no longer checks for disk activity. Instead an application must now specifically tell the OS that it is doing something via power assertions to keep the computer from sleeping.

Here's whats happening regarding Handbrake and implementing power assertions https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/348/.

5. macrumors 6502a

monkeybagel

That was a much better response than mine :D