'MLB.com At Bat 2010' Hits the App Store

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 2, 2010.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Macworld reports that MLB.com At Bat 2010 has arrived in the App Store, offering baseball fans even more coverage of the upcoming season's games. As with last year's version, users can listen live to every regular season and postseason game and also view streaming video of games not blacked out in the user's market. The app also continues to offer the "Gameday" feature with pitch-by-pitch coverage and data from games around the country.
    MLB.com At Bat 2010 is priced at $14.99 for access throughout the season.

[​IMG]

At Apple's media event to introduce the iPad in January, representatives of MLB.com demoed a version of MLB.com At Bat for the iPad, which will allow for display of even more content with a richer user experience. There is no word yet on release plans for the iPad application.

Article Link: 'MLB.com At Bat 2010' Hits the App Store

2. macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

This App still has the major bug from last season where Montreal Expos games are not viewable.

3. macrumors 68020

4. macrumors regular

5. macrumors 68030

gibbz

I have also had a hard time viewing the Brooklyn Dodgers.

6. macrumors 6502

Yeah and it refered to the Washington Senators as the Nationals :confused:

I like the app and had it last year. But I'm not sure if the price is worth another year. I'll probably rely on Sportacular this year.

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

And NOTHING to show for it. Whatever enhancements they're listing isn't worth the money and yet, here I go paying for it. :p

9. macrumors member

10. macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Bought it for $10 last year during the playoffs...does my "subscription" carry over? I only used it for a few weeks...

11. macrumors 6502a

Shasterball

Nope.

12. macrumors regular

I thought they reduced the price or made it free toward the end of the season. I guess not, which is quite a ripoff. I think they need to make it VERY clear (more so than it is) in the description that the app becomes useless when the next season starts.

That said, I will definitely be buying the app again. Live audio of my favorite team (which doesn't play near where I live) is a godsend in the car.

13. macrumors newbie

I'm still mad at them from last year where I felt they used deceptive advertising. They are doing it this year again... They loudly shout that you can view live video feeds, choose home or away broadcasts, etc. but they don't bother to tell you that you can't watch the games *YOU* want to watch - you are instead stuck with only two live games shown on video that *THEY* choose each day.

Of course, if you buy their > $100 package, you can watch the games that you want to watch.

14. macrumors regular

I didn't buy it last year, but if I'm reading it right... the live game day audio AND video make this worth every penny, even if it's $5 more than last year. The cheapest MLB.tv costs $20/mo and MLB GameDay Audio costs as well... I can't pull up how much, can't seem to find it for some reason. If you don't need all the crazy features of MLB.tv and just want to watch or listen to the games live, this is a steal.

I'm not getting an iPad, but from the looks of the app, I think it'll be great, especially if you'll get all that with this $15 app (if transferrable).

15. macrumors 68020

Wrong they have a in app purchase of any non black out game for 99 cents

16. macrumors member

the description on iTunes says "Background Audio Playback". Does that mean I can listen to my Phils while browsing the internet?

17. macrumors regular

IF I had to guess I figure they will do what wunder radio does. If you click play in the background it loads the audio feed in safari and plays from there.

18. macrumors 6502a

In my experience apps that allow for "background" audio like Pocket Tunes end up playing the audio through Safari, and you can't open another window. You'd be free to use a third party browser though and any other app would be available for use.

Good of MLB to allow this function for those not jailbroken, though I'm still hoping it'll be a moot point come OS 4.0...

19. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Picked this up today. Yes it's $5 more than last year, but $15 for access to every MLB game for the whole season is way worth it in my opinion.

It's not immediately clear to me what their spring training coverage is though.

20. macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Are people really that touchy over $14.99 for an app that's this good?

It was a no brainer for me! If they want another $14.99 for the iPad version I'll dish it out, this is my favorite app. (Other than my apps;))

21. macrumors regular

Claytoniss

22. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Right. This is the one (and only) app that would make me consider getting an iPad.

23. macrumors 6502a

I definitely want to buy this, but want it for both my iphone and for ipad when I buy one. I really hope if you buy it for iphone, you can later get the ipad optimized version for free. I emailed MLB.com about that and hopefully will hear back.

24. macrumors 6502

Sportacluar for other team updates and the FREE WEEI app (for live audio redsox games) = :cool:

FU MLB, $14.99 my ass

25. macrumors 6502

How do they raise the price 9.99 was already expensive and no really big in improvements. on the fence on this one. Every year MLB raises the price this is ridculous. I also wanna add this is not exactly live there is a delay on it not sure how many secs but a delay for sure. Last year I would compare the score on cbssports website with the feed on my phone and was alot slower.