Mmm... naps.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Blue Velvet, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Had a lovely snooze this afternoon... rain against the windows, warm soft duvet, radio playing softly. Woke up to have strong milky coffee and toast sitting by the kitchen window.

I must be getting old — I'm turning into a inveterate napper. I come home from work and jump into bed for an hour or two and it leaves me feeling splendid for the evening — can work until 1-2am and still get up for work the next day. Over this weekend, I've probably had about 6-7 shorter periods of sleep intermittently spaced rather than the usual night's sleep.

Anyone else enjoy snoozing? Or are you a straight 6-8 hours every night vanilla kind of person? :p

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i love naps. as i tend to sleep better during the day than at night :eek: maybe i am a vampire. but i work long hours too, so on the weekends i do like to nap to relax. i've been sleeping 8 hours most nights too, although i never can sleep more than a couple of hours straight through without waking up. i suppose if that didn't happen and i slept sounder i wouldn't need naps nor get fatigued as much as i do after 10 hours or work.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I can barely sleep at night, let alone during the day :eek: Although, on the vampyr side, I do cringe in sunlight :D

4. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I can very happily do both. I pride myself on my sleeping ability. :p

I had a bit of a snooze on the coach home this afternoon, but it's hard to get comfy in those seats. Certainly not a patch on your nap, Blue.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The only time I seem to nap is when I'm recovering from jetlag when I'll quite happily curl up for an hour or so.

Otherwise, if I nap in the evening, I wake up way too early the next morning.

The rain did sound nice today... although I was very glad I was indoors!

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

...and then there's the kind that leave you feeling a bit ruffled and confused. Sometimes you can wake up not knowing what time of day it is. :D

An added and highly enjoyable bonus — for me at least — seems to be crystal-clear and easily-remembered dreams. Good stuff.

7. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I'm a fan of power naps. If I feel the need to put gas in the tank on Saturday or Sunday, I'll kick out the foot rest on my couch and go out for about 1/2 an hour. Did that just yesterday :D

8. bartelby macrumors Core

I had a good nap this afternoon.
    Sleeping on the sofa, Mmmmmmmmmm...

I didn't even hear the doorbell ring!!
    :D :D :D

9. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Butch. :p

As opposed to the more indulgent cosy ones for us girly wimps, I guess. :D

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Mmmm, that kind's the best!

Embarrassingly, it's happened to me on more than one occasion..
    during class. :eek: :eek:

11. dcv macrumors G3

I fell asleep for a few mins earlier. I guess I'm so pooped from returning to the office and working silly hours recently. Was rather nice falling asleep like that and I wish I'd stayed in bed. Instead I dragged myself down to the gym as I felt guilty for not going all weekend. I need a nap now!

12. calculus Guest

calculus

I can sleep anywhere, anytime - except in my bed at night

13. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

No sleep for me....just stayed up and read as the rain was beating the streets...yup good times.

Bless

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Those are good too! They just don't happen for me as much. The last time I had an indulgent cosy nap I think it was dark when I woke up and I had no idea what day it was - or whether it was early morning or evening :eek:

15. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

I'm in exam period so I have been napping for an hour two to three times a day.

It's splendid, I love laying on a bed with music playing, good 'ol music.

I just made a thread about napping and music if you guys are interested.

link

mmmmm naps.....

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I used to indulge in a nap on a weekend day now and then, but I gave up that habit. Now I'm Energizer Bunny-Q until bedtime, when I fall asleep within nanoseconds of hitting the pillow. But I do sleep a bit later on the weekend.

17. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I hate not being able to sleep when I try to sleep. So my general policy is to work until I pass out -- whether that be napping or sleeping through the night.

But, yeah. Dozing is nice -- and the coffee and toast sound perfect.

18. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

When I go to sleep around 1 or 2 AM, get up at 6:45 AM, have to be at work at 8:30 (after an 45-60 minutes of commute time via public transit), then have class at 1 PM, then have to trek home, I like napping.

19. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I LOVE naps! Especially in college when you stay up til 2 or 3 AM, if nothing is happening in the afternoon, sleeping is awesome, then you're so refreshed for the rest of the day/night. I've actually got this rhythm where I sleep from 2-4 on tuesdays and thursdays and then go run about 3 miles right afterwards with a friend. Lovely. Wonderfubulous.

20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Love my naps.

One time, a neighbor dropped over to visit, walked into the livingroom and started to talk to me, I was on the couch reading a magazine. My wife said to me "That was pretty rude - Paul was talking to you and you never replied to him..." - no response. She comes over and looks and there I am behind the magazine, fast asleep, stll holding it up in front of me. I'll never live that one down.

21. mpw Guest

Three kids under 5years old, thats about the best quality the sleep I'm getting at the moment!

I don't know who it was but I heard a great quote a while ago; "I need at least 8hrs sleep a day....and about the same at night."

22. mpw Guest

I remember falling asleep during my math GCSE exam, I'd finished the exam way ahead of time but couldn't leave until at set time had passed and must've just drifted off to sleep. I've no idea how long I was out but woke up with a started as I lay my head on the desk and got stabbed by my compass! Sitting in a hall with a hundred other student in silence and I'm groggily swearing with a compass stuck in my arm and drool down my face:eek: (I scored 97% though, top score in the district. Yay me!)

23. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

i do lots of it.....sometimes, i get bogged down with work, i feel tired and fuzzy...or even after a really, horrible day, i just collapse on my bed and fall asleep for a couple of hours.

the only two problems i have are:

1)time confusion - you wake up, its dark outside and you look at the clock...it's 9:30. but when you have been asleep for a while, you think its the morning to begin with, and i used to get quite upset when i couldnt work out why it was dark. :D

2) falling asleep in student halls when your door is unlocked (usually you dont plan to fall asleep i find) is not really a great idea. on of my mates walked in when i was snoozing on my bed (fully clothed thankyou:D) and he was just about to go round up everybody to put showergel all over me and change my desktop picture to an obscene image or something. or so he said, when i woke up as the door clicked.

quite a close one!

S

S

24. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

Being a young guy it is not often that a take a nap, however, I do enjoy laying down and taking a nap when I don't have anything else to do and I am feeling like I just want to rest.

25. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    oh how i love a nice mid-day nap. don't get the chance to do it often so it's a rare treat. if it's raining, that's just icing on the cake.

and if the mrs. is with me, all the better.