mmmm, beer

Discussion in 'Community' started by mrjamin, May 2, 2003.

1. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

2. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Sounds good, but seen as I called in sick for work tonight I don't think appearing at a beer festival would go down to well.

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

4. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm foaming at the mouth to go, but I live in Michigan, so I won't be able to make it.

5. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    have a pint of "Norfolk Nog" for me will ya. top beer that.

6. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

I'd love to have a cask-conditioned real ale, but alas, none in the US.

It's sad that prohibition wiped out the community brewing tradition here.

7. dstorey macrumors 6502a

This threads making my hand fight its way to the fridge to crack open a chilled Carona.......

I should really drink nukie brown (bottle of dog) being a geordie but i wont touch the stuff...give me a blonde continental anyday.....I really miss them french and belgian blondes...;)

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

ahhh, newkey brahn, can get that in a few places on draught over here, one of me faves, can't say it like that though, unless it's an ex-pat bartender.

wanders to the fridge to grab a nice cold microbrew

9. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

I hate posts like these...

People start talking about all this delicious stuff half way around the world and, well,... :D

Anyway, hope you all have a great time there. Sounds like a blast. I was in England about 15 years ago. Best time of my life. Took the A1 up to Northern Yorkshire. Fun fun fun. Some day, maybe I'll be making my way across the pond again. Till then, I'll just have those great memories... :D

10. dstorey macrumors 6502a

my will power was bad...now got a bottle of corona in hand and some cheese to go with it.

I'll soon teach the locals what a bottle of dog is, though as i dont drink it maybe not. Whats that Brooklyn beer like? I've seen it here in the supermarket but not tried it yet, seems one with some history anyway.

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

you mean Brooklyn Lager? (i think) it's ok. likewise with Red Hook.

i was shocked when i moved here, i saw Red Stripe in a bar. they brew it in Bedford, where i live in england, of course there's a large west indian population there, so it makes sense now.

i tend not to like the darker american beers, like sam adams etc, too fragranced, if you get what i mean.

12. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Grab a pint of Kilkenny for me! Mmmmm.....Kilkenny.

13. dstorey macrumors 6502a

Nah i'm not a bitter fan ma self...prefere the blondes and the whites for a change...amber is good but a bit too loopy. Yeah thats the larger i was on about, with a green label. Red Stripe...I'd almost fogot about that, classic cheapish beer thats kept many bands going through the years. The only american beer you really get here in large numbers are Bud and quite a bit of coors, rolling rock and sam adams...some places have brooklyn but it's just came out here and sometimes one from san fran, is it anchor or something...well it has one on the label. The latter seems quite nice but havn't had much. Is the beer over there dumbed down like it is here?

14. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

not quite sure what you mean by that mate, but they don't have the alcohol content on the labels over here...from what i remember bud is actually kinda strong.

anchor steam beer? that what you mean? i think there's something called that.

ooh, speaking of the west coast, blondes, and amber, i know a rather fine girl called amber, that i need to call (she's from cali, and is blonde, of course heh). damn, now where did i put her number, argh.

as far as the beer here goes, it's fairly easy to get good brit beers now, big market for them, thank goodness heh

15. dstorey macrumors 6502a

by dumbed down i mean made weaker for our market...like kronenburg being 5.9 in europe and 5.0 here, lownenbrau being 8 in europe and 5 here etc.

Yeah i think thats the one, it has an achor and a gold eagle on it anyway, maybe us flag too.

So is england popular there or only the beer? i remember a friend of a friend went to the states and people used to ring him in the night to ask if he was english and to hear his accent...though he sounded like hugh grant..which i find funny as he is broad mackum and they are so not posh......

16. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

ahh, that i don't know lad

i guess the whole brit thing is big, goes through phases i reckon. and as for me accent, i have had people just die over it, thinking it's wonderful, others don't even seem to notice that much, or think i'm an aussie. i really should use it to my advantage, which i don't. stupid i know.

17. dstorey macrumors 6502a

you can't let an advantage like that get away..... My ex was texan and she couldn't get enough of the accent but she made so much fun of it when i tried to speak french so i gave up speaking it round her. I've heard of cockneys getting mistaken for an aussie....how gutting ;)

I think after a few beers i'll try and put it on. good day old bean, what a gastly show

18. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I'll bring a few pints back and put them up on ebay. Hmm, on second thoughts, international shipping on a pint probably wont work out too well.

266 beers, too many to choose from. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO!?!?

19. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

20. dynamicd macrumors 6502

21. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

american pie? hehe.

Will come and post some drunken messages when i get back!

22. JupiterTwo macrumors 6502

JupiterTwo

Went on Thursday night - really good, nice and friendly as always.

I'd recommend Robinsons Old Tom -
    "Aged - A full-bodied, dark beer, it has malt, fruit and chocolate in the aroma. A delightfully complex range of flavours including dark chocolate, full maltiness, treacle toffe and fruits lead to a long, bitter sweet aftertaste"

luverly - my mates called it a 'Bearded-man's alco-pop', but I don't care :p

8.5% too, but you don't notice it till later ;):D

(the pasties out the back are great too!)

23. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

leaving now...

...are you Reading based Tizbo? i might know you!

24. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

have fun fella :)

i'm off down t'pub meself, and it's not even 9am here! (only going for the footy though :) )

25. mrjamin thread starter macrumors 65816

mrjamin

too much beer. feelingg kinda funny. had some Mead too, tat was werid. gonig to go to bed, picture sto follow, stay tunde