mmorpg's

Discussion in 'Games' started by JzzTrump22, Feb 10, 2005.

1. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I am considering taking the plunge into the world of mmorpg's (good ones that actually have a monthly cost). I want to know whats available that will run well on my system and has a lot of people on so i can actually enjoy the game. My system specs are in my sig.

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

You have a number of options. Your best bet is World of Warcraft, but there is also Everquest (1), Lineage (1), and Shadowbane... as well as some free ones which likely aren't worth the time. They should all run just fine on you computer, the only thing is you won't be able to tell the settings up really high on WoW.

3. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you know the prices per month for each of those games? I know WoW is pretty expensive. $15 or so a month if i remember correctly. Don't know about the other ones. I'm currently downloading Lineage and going to try it for free for a week or 2. I really want a game where you have to level up your character and try and increase different stats.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Blizzard is not going to restock resellers with WoW — their servers are overloading. Right now you can only buy WoW at retail if it is still stocked. They should start selling it again in the near future. You can find it on ebay (make sure it's sealed) pretty easily. I think it costs ~$10 a month to play, and has endlessely infinite hordes of other players. I don't play it because I think it would consume my life...but that is your choice. :rolleyes:

5. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

If it's less then $10 a month, i might go for it. Can anyone verify the price? Yes, it will consume my life too, as a college student this may not be the best idea.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

$15/month - monthly
    $13/month - 3 months
    $11/month (i think) - 6 months

7. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'd probably be better off just buying either 1/2 a year or yearly subscription, not only because it cheaper in the long run, but because i don't have to keep paying every single month.

8. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

That's assuming you don't get bored with it in that period of time.

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

from what I've heard, you definitely won't get bored. Whether you survive that long and avoid starving to death in front of your computer because of an unwillingness to get up for food is another story....

Also (this doesn't really matter if they've stopped restocking resellers) I've heard that you get several months free when you first buy the game. I don't know if this is true, but it would be neat.

10. Devie macrumors 6502a

You get one month "free"... although its not exactly free, since you pay $89 AUD for it in the first place...

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

You get 1 month free when you buy the game.

As for boredom... it's definitely possible. I'm a little more resiliant than others so, having been 60 for over a month now, and running at 24 days of play time so far, it's been ok... however that's mostly due to having found a strong raiding guild... so pick your server wisely.

12. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

Runescape can actually be a bit fun, but tiresome in periods. $5.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I got bored with WoW after about 3 months.. (1 month of beta, plust 2 months retail). I thought to myself.. I'm level 51. What happens when I hit 60? What's the point? Why would I keep paying to keep playing? Can I imagine myself paying $14 a month a year from now? 2 years from now?

14. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I see your point. It's just that there are no free mmorpgs out there and those are the games that truly appeal to me. I see my friend at school always playing Final Fantasy XI and he has about 340 days of gameplay on it and he is not bored of it. That game is about half of his life. I don't think i would loose interest in it after 3 months. But if the game is 15$ a month, i would not play it very long because thats a big expense to me.

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I think you touched upon the real issue at stake. You need to ask yourself, if the game becomes 1/2 your life (or more for some people), what are you loosing out on? It's just a game. Aren't there more fulfilling things in life besides the grind? That's the conclusion I came to. You'll have to find out for yourself. Just remember, WoW can't pay your bills, feed your cats, hug your wife, teach dirty limericks to your kids, etc,... ;)

16. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't have to worry about any of that yet, i'm only 18. Thats probably one of the reasons why i don't want to buy the game though. I don't want to throw away days of my life for a game. When i forst got xbox live, thats basically what i did.

17. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

When you hit 60, the game becomes group play focused, mostly for progression within the game world, and gear increases.

Let me tell you, a full group of 60s will die very easily in Scholomance. So if you're thinking there's no challenge, or nothing to do... don't stop until you're 60... it's just stupid to judge the game from a hypothetical standpoint... especially when you're not even there.

18. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

$14.99 monthly
    $13.99 per month for three months
    $12.99 per month for 6 months

I played through the beta and it was quite enjoyable. Two of the problems I have with it is that it takes up a lot of time and I don't really feel like the game is finished. They have yet to implement the battlegrounds or the hero portion on the game. These are both aimed at level 60 characters. If I am going to pay monthly, I want a complete game.

19. JzzTrump22 thread starter macrumors 65816

So you think it's better to wait until they implement more things?l

20. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I would say yes.. but like he said, these not-yet-implemented features are for level 60 characters... Takes a long time to get a character to level 60 (Probably a realistic minimum of about 360 hours of gameplay).

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My standpoint is not hypothetical. I know some of what the challenges are at level 60. I just don't see the point anymore.

22. AnewMac macrumors regular

What happens at level 60? How long does it take to get to level 60?

Excuse my ignorance, I'll read more closely next time. (got too excited)

23. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

For the most part, these questions have already been answered in this thread.

24. AnewMac macrumors regular

Sorry, see above (edit)

25. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I think the monthly fee should eliminate the possibility of a retail expansion pack. We're paying for more content right now...

I know there are no expansions out yet.. but my neckhairs are spiked.