?: MMO's & Boot Camp/Parallel

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tzu, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Tzu macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006
    Hi everyone, I've been a long time visitor to MacRumors and a scanner of the forums. I finally regestered today to ask you enlightened ones a question.

I'm on the cusp of getting a MacBook Pro (trying to wait for the new processors which seem to be expected next month). I also want to join some friends playing City of Heroes/Villains. I'm resigned to shelling out for an XP licence, no problem there (maybe Parallel's app as well). The question is: is this really going to do the job? And, has anyone out there done online PC gaming, preferably MMOs, virtualized on their Mac?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Dec 9, 2004
    Nobody has, because virtualization (including Parallels) doesn't support hardware 3D. Rebooting into Windows with Boot Camp apparently works fine, not something I'd ever do however.

3. Tzu thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2006

Ok, so you're saying that I shouldn't have any problems as long as I'm willing to use Boot Camp, because that allows full use of the hardware?

I'm willing to go that route if necessary. Has anyone out there actually done this (not neccessarily with CoH, any PC MMO should work about the same)? Are there any other issues I should be aware of?