Mo Mowlam Dies

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Jaffa Cake, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mo Mowlam – British Politician and a key figure in the Northern Ireland Peace Process – has died aged 55. It's not yet clear if her death is related to the brain tumour she had been previously suffering from.

I wonder if Blair will go to this funeral, following his no show at Robin Cook's...

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

A rare person: a politician that was actually admired and loved by a huge number of people. Jealous of her popularity, she was eventually dealt a raw deal by the Govt.

She will be missed.

3. mpw Guest

Didn't necessarily agree with all both Mowlam and Cook said but at least they gave the impression of competance that so many other politicians lack.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Such a shame - she came across as a great person and was one of the few politicians that had cross-party and public respect. It's a great pity that she wasn't used more effectively in government.

5. zami macrumors regular

RIP Mo. My favourite anecdote is that upon meeting the Rev. Ian Paisley for the first time she said, "As for you, you can piss off right now". Class!

What did Tony Blair do? He replaced her with Peter f*cking Mandelson.

6. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

One of the few politicians who was generally a nice person.Love the way she always addressed Martin McGuinness as Babe.Took it upon herself to speak to the Republican prisoners about the peace agreement,something other politicians wouldn't do and without which the process was going nowhere.RIP the Mo.

Attached Files:

7. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I echo the sentiments here. She was a good person and unique in the fact that she was a politician that the public trusted and admired.

8. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Shame. In last couple of weeks we've lost two politicians who actually had principles and beliefs and stuck to them - they didn't just pander to focus groups or the tabloids.

You might not have agreed with what they said but at least you believed they meant it.

9. scubabeano macrumors member

scubabeano

10. mpw Guest

What do you reckon, burial or cremation?

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

:(

She will indeed be missed. She was the only decent politician to appear on "Have i got news for you" :p What a character.

R.I.P Ms Mowlam.

12. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

13. Lau Guest

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Absolutely.

14. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I don't think much of the politicians in this country but she was one of the good ones. Down to earth with a good sense of humour. She will be greatly missed.

A lot of people forget about her brain tumour operation as well, to go through that and still be in the public eye doing what she did serves as a good yard stick for others in the same situation.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

she was excellent. I only took notice of her after seeing her on that Rolf Paints series.

fantastic human. she has all this humour stuck to her, i keep hearing stories (heard a new one here too) of things she said and did. nothing beats her taking her wig off and putting her feet up during them Irish peace conference things.

poor Mo :(