Mobile Account in 10.3.8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flying Llama, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

I was snooping around the system folder (in 10.3.8) and got to the login panel area (/System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugIns/loginwindow.bundle/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/) and opened the loginwindow.strings with TextEdit. I looked around, changed some of it, and then saw something strange:

"MCX_MOBILE_ACCNT_TEXT" = "A mobile account provides network preferences and a home directory when this computer is disconnected from the network. If created, the account and home directory will remain on this computer after you log out. They can only be removed by a computer administrator.";

"MCX_MOBILE_ACCNT_CONTINUE_BUTTON" = "Continue";

How do I create this mobile account? Is this a feature of a future release? What is it! :confused:

2. Flying Llama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Could this be related to our long awaited "home on iPod" feature?

3. pncc macrumors regular

This is more likely just a current feature of Server as it affects Clients.

ON X Server, you (an Administrator) can setup mobile accounts for laptop users where their privileges on the network are controlled by the Server software, but they retain their Home folder on the laptop. When they are connected to the network, the Server software controls what volumes they can access, what privileges they have on their own laptops, etc. When they disconnect, they take their Home folder with them, but those privilages are still restricted by what the Server has stored on the laptop.

That is not a very clear description, but I think you get the idea.

4. Flying Llama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

Thanks, oh well about home on ipod!