Mobile Magazine Deployment

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by scem0, Mar 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    First off, thanks ahead of time for all help offered.

I'm creating a large-file-size online magazine that I want to deploy to all mobile devices (iOS, Android, and WP) as well as to desktop users on Windows and Mac. I'm a bit overwhelmed with the deployment options, and this isn't really my area of expertise, so I thought I'd get some advice on how to do this from the helpful MR readers!

So, I'm, by trade, a web guy. I can make this into a bad-ass HTML5 web app rather easily. Thing is, I want people to be able to read the magazine on the subway, or on a plane, and so I have to offer some kind of downloadable package. It can't just be a PDF, the magazine is interactive. So, what's the best option for deploying an interactive online magazine to all platforms? Having an online version is an easy step once I figure out the downloadable version.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and one more thing, this magazine is adult in nature. ie. I can't deploy to iOS as a standalone app. It has to be loaded via some other 3rd party app. :)
  2. Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Due to your desire to support multiple platforms and the content being adult in nature, you should just consider writing an HTML5 web-app. HTML5 does have the option of local storage.
  3. macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    We're using Baker and Laker, two open source frameworks for magazine design on the iPad. You might want to check them out (links below) as they're basically a wrap around for HTML5 webpages, so you could probably do some really nice things with them.