Mobile music question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by harveypooka, Oct 16, 2005.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Hello. Once Apple update the Powerbooks, I'm going to buy one...but I have a bit of a weird situation, one that I'm sure other people have had...
    I have a lot of music on my current iMac that's now on a external firewire drive. It's fine using this with my iMac because it stays in once place, but how do I keep some of my music with me, but keep most of it on the external drive? I'd like to have all my four and five star rated music on the Powerbook, but the others on the external drive. Could I make an Automator script to look for 4 and 5 star rated files and then copy them over to my Powerbook? But then I'd have duplicates...etc etc
    Any ideas?
  2. VanMac macrumors 6502a

May 26, 2005
    Rampaging Tokyo
    You would have duplicates.

Just keep all your music on your external drive, and copy over what you want to your PB. If you buy or rip new music, do so to the external, and copy over to PB if you want it.
  3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    Yeah, I could do that but I'd prefer a more automated way...I regularly re-rate music and add new stuff.
  4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Do you, by chance, have an iPod? I have all of my music on a partition on my Power Mac, and my Powerbook is linked to that library. When I do go mobile, I just bring the iPod and just play the songs off of the iPod through iTunes. It works pretty well for me.
  5. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2004
    That's a very good idea! And, if my aging iPod battery dies I can at least plug it into my iBook to get a little power. Thanks for that!
  6. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    thats what i would do. my HD has been getting full on my PB and I have been thinking about keeping the library completely on an external drive (i already back up to the external drive right now) but then i could just connect and play through my iPod should i be away from my external hd. the only thing ive run into is i often play music off of my PB through the airport express when i am at different places in my apt. . . and the fun of that is not having to lug around an extra drive or an iPod :-/ so i dont know. right now im living with a full HD . . . but id reccomened just putting everything on an iPod if you dont want to fill the HD on your PB