Mobile Phone for powerbook users

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by gundam, Nov 27, 2003.

1. gundam macrumors member

My T68i just died and I need a new phone that can get my powerbook online through GPRS from time to time. I don't want to spend too much but it seems the only handsets with Bluetooth are really high end gizmos with integrated cameras and 65k displays. The cheapest one around
    seems to be the SE T610. (I live in Hong Kong and older models are hard to find and only sold as parallel imports).

If I get a lower end phone, will I be able to connect it to the powerbook through some kind of data cable? (since the powerbook has no infra-red port?)

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, most phones have data cable available for them. Just check eBay before you buy a phone to make sure there is a data cable available for it. I have a Motorola V60i and bought a data cable for it from eBay for a few bucks, and it works great. Although it's not nearly as fast as GPRS, it decent enough for time to time. A data cable will work just as well as bluetooth for GPRS though.

3. gundam thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, would there be any problem using less mainstream brands (Siemens, Samsung, Panasonic) or is it better to stick with SE, Nokia, Motorola?

I really have a hard time understanding the marketing of Bluetooth. If it's supposed to be a wireless standard for connecting different devices, then why are phonemakers only including it in their all-in-one type devices?

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I guess like any emerging technology, it's reserved for high-priced items at first. Give a year or two, and you'll see Bluetooth on many more, inexpensive phones.

As for using other types of phones, as long as you can get a data cable for it, you should be fine. Mac OS X recognizes pretty much anything.

5. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Re: Mobile Phone for powerbook users

As one of the guys says, check ebay for any phone stuff you might need. Most users ship internationally. One thing I would say though, is stick with SonyEricsson. Bluetooth on Apple was developed hand-in-hand with SE. Plus SE make some damned reliable and easy-to-use handsets.

Please no brand wars...

6. gundam thread starter macrumors member

MoparShaha: I actually feel the reverse is true! I had an Ericsson T39m and a Sony Ericsson T68i. With the current generation of handsets, they've stopped offering basic phones with bluetooth & other connectivity and now you must buy the T610 or P900 if you want bluetooth as a feature. Similar story with Nokia.

As for the quality of SE phones, neither of mine lasted more than a year but then I am fairly clumsy with them.