Mobile phone to kill iPod?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 512ke, Sep 6, 2004.

1. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Here is my thought about the following article:
    Is it better to have a dedicated, specialized mp3 player or one gizmo that "does it all"?
    Should Apple make the next gen iPod a combination cell phone, digital camera mp3 player and (perhaps) remote control?

Here is the article:

Mobile phone to kill iPod? Samsung debuts hard disk handset

Just the other week we predicted that phone manufacturers would soon be giving up on stupidly expensive flash memory cards and kitting out their handsets with hard disks. These are of course significantly cheaper, most importantly for the consumer, offer a great deal more storage.

They could in theory also render hard disk music devices like the iPod redundant as users can store their tunes on the handset’s hard disk and have no need for a secobnd device. Motorola’s recent deal with Apple to offer iTunes on its mobiles shows that the iPod’s manufacturer is also sensing that this could be the way in which the market, at least in Europe and the far east, is likely to develop.

Anyhow it seems we were right for Samsung has just announced the world's first ever mobile with an integrated hard disk.

Unveiled yesterday at a Japanese telecoms show the SPH-V5400 is a clamshell type phone with a 1.5GB hard disk.

It comes with an integrated mega pixel camera, MP3 player and a TV out connection.

Another first is that the SPH-V5400 also features an FM transmitter to enable users to stream music from the phone to nearby FM radios. Sadly at the moment this type of feature is illegal to use in the UK thanks to the 1949 Wireless telegraphy act.

The main screen is a TFT screen - 240 pixel by 320 pixel - and the sub screen is an OLED - 128 pixel by 128 pixel.

We expect the first mobiles with hard disks to reach the UK by the middle of next year with Motorola along with the Japanese/Korean makers leading the way.

2. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

All I have to say is: how many "ipod killers" have we seen so far? And how many have killed the ipod?

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I can see the CEO of Samsung holding up the new iPod Killer in the form of a mobile phone... upside down with a dead battery in front of thousands of people and the media.

4. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

w/ a "designed for windows 95" sticker on it :cool:

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Better yet, the "Plays for Sure" logo! :D :p

6. 512ke thread starter macrumors 6502a

512ke

Yes, I concur: this phone has no chance of killing the iPod!

It's a good idea, though. Phone iPod. Video camera iPod. Video player iPod. Input-enabled PDA iPod. No?

Or maybe take it one step farther...

Gilette Mach 3 mp3 player/razor. Listen to tunes while you shave!

G.E. Toaster Oven/mp3 player. _Really_ toast and burn!

Nike Ultimate Player: Leather tennis shoe with built-in mp3 player.

???

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

IIRC Oakley recently came out with sunglasses with a built in 64mb mp3 player that used a watch battery size battery

8. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I am a very strong proponent for dedicated devices; Phones that are used for calling, Music players for playing, digital camera's for taking pictures.

But lets flip the coin for a second. Although one item to do one thing well is better then one item doing all things poorly. However, i only have so many pockets.

On any typical day on the bus i have with me, my cellphone, my mini digital camera (2 mega pixel DSC-U20), and my iPod (doubles as schedule keeper when iSync) + key's, sunglasses, books, whatever i might need.

by the end of it all i'm pretty weight down ...the idea of having a high-capacity, yet lightweight music player, with input capabilities similar to a palm, with a 2 megapixel digital camera, and even a cellphone available in a iPod sized package, is kind off appealing to me by the end of the day

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This is stupid idea for one reason.

Listening to my music. Jammin', rockin', rollin'.
    Whoops my battery is dead.
    Now I don't have a phone either, so I hope there's no emergencies! :(

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Thats why i sit on the fence on the "all in one's" issue --- useful for space, but if one goes down, the whole system is down

11. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

You could always use/carry this:
    http://www.sidewindercharger.com/

Regardless, I think this is a good idea for the not-too-distant future, as battery technology improves, and the power-draw is reduced in devices (I believe OLED tech draws less power than traditional screens for example)...

different strokes for different folks...I just want a good set of wireless headphones (for music and/or phone calls)

12. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

These things could be useful if they were small enough. But as it is, it's easier, for me at least, to carry my ipod in one pocket, and my cell phone in another than it is to carry one really thick and bulky cell phone, which can also keep notes, music, and take/store pictures.

13. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

absolutely ... form factor is very important

14. 512ke thread starter macrumors 6502a

512ke

"IIRC Oakley recently came out with sunglasses with a built in 64mb mp3 player that used a watch battery size battery."

Wow!

I personally would welcome an all-in-one device that replaced the three or four useful devices I habitually carry in my pockets.

However, the problem I see is that it would be difficult to make one sleek device that does everything as well as the iPod handles music. A great mp3 player. A terrific phone. A great digital camera.

Maybe in the future? I dunno.

15. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

in response to the thread title: no, i don't think so. ;) :D

because the iPod is going to keep getting new features, and quite simply there isn't any time soon going to be a piece of hardware that even comes close to beating the iPod. :D

16. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    I personally would rather the iPod kill off the mobile phone. The technology in the phone market has still yet to mature but is reaching saturation before it's time. Too many promises and not much delivered. iPods delivered to notch from day 1 ....But phones? Pah!

But then I can't stand them period, and I'm in a bad mood.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think this could be an iPod killer in the future because unlike those other HD based music players that are like the iPod, but worse, the first mobile phone with a perfect interface for both phone and music player usage could actually kill the iPod because everyone carries a mobile phone. Just like how it makes more sense to carry a music player than a video iPod, it also makes more sense to carry a mobile phone that plays music well rather than carry both.

Of course, the iPod is popular because of its looks and user interface, but if a company other than Apple were to come up with a phone that combines a phone, music player, and a great interface, then they may actually be in trouble.

Of course, this also assumes that in the meantime, Apple remains stagnant and doesn't try to fight back somehow. Comparing today's iPod with a future mobile + music player combo product doesn't make much sense.

18. Coolvirus007 macrumors regular

the only problem is that portable hard drive technology needs much more improvement in terms of reliablity in case of sudden shock, frequent use, etc. I am very careful with my ipod and I am not nearly as care about my phone. So in case the hard drive messes up, your whole phone will mess up less there's a seperate flash memory or whatever.

So maybe in a while.

19. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    The iPod has a loyalty that is too strong, not just amongst Mac-heads, but also the computer illiterate and Wintel-philes. The iPod buyers are not looking for the quick hit satisfaction of the latest craze and cheapest costs that much of the phone market is comprised of and needs to sustain it's existence. They love the kit too much too ditch both their current phone and iPod completely just because one manufacturer has designed a product that holds up to 1000wma songs as well as ring your mates to say you will be at the pub in 5 minutes.:rolleyes:

‘Tis folley.