Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThatWasAwkward

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
This might take a second.

Allow me to explain.

I've been using a prepaid mobile phone through Tracfone for about a year now. I've found that my need for a mobile phone has increased during that time. It went from being emergencies only to a conveniently always-with-me phone. At this point it looks like it would be cheaper to just sign a contract and get a normal mobile phone plan.

Here is where you Apple-fanatics and experts come in.

Should I hold my breath and wait for Apple to drop their mysterious iPhone, or should I cave now and just get a phone from some other provider? Is there enough to go on that would indicate that I might want to wait?

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
There's no way of knowing what service providers Apple is going to have a deal with, and it will probably cost an arm and a leg too. It is always amazing to me that people pay >$300 (US) for their cell phone, when mine was free after rebate...all for the same plan.

In my opinion, a more expensive or "hip" phone doesn't help you all that much unless you really need to watch web video on a tiny screen, or browse the internet in between conversations. I would find the local plan that works best for you and go from there. The iPhone is kind of a dark horse....nobody has an accurate idea of when it will be released (unlike Merom machines, which are coming any day now), and it probably won't be anything more (from a functional standpoint) than an inexpensive camera phone.

If you are in the US, I have had good luck with Verizon thus far...reception nearly everywhere.

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
miles01110 said:
If you are in the US, I have had good luck with Verizon thus far...reception nearly everywhere.

I second that Verizon has great coverage, but their selection of cool "hip" phones is lacking. The LG Chocolate is pretty nice, but not much else that I like.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
I have Cingular and it works quite well. Personally, I'm waiting for the new Windows Mobile Treo "Lennon". It is going to be amazing, it's like the current Windows Mobile Treo except thinner and without that stub antenna.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.