Mobile Phones/Smartphones/PDA's with a Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BelgianHokie, May 31, 2006.

1. BelgianHokie macrumors member

Jun 14, 2005
    I apologize if I picked the wrong forum but I couldn't decide where and picked here...

I am looking to get a mobile phone (quad band GSM as I travel overseas a lot and actually live out of the US at the moment). I am looking into one that will hook up with my mac and whatnot. everywhere i look i find phones with windows mobile OS on them.

I am looking for something to be an organizer of my info when away from my powerbook (non-intel) and if possible play some music. the Motorola V3i does some well but not the organizer part. The Nokia 9300 seems to do the other part well. A friend as an I-mate and swears by it....looked it up on their site...Windows mobile.

I don't really need something like a blackberry as i am currently in afghanistan and the send and receive email stuff does not work here (we looked into it). or have i missed the boat on the blackberries because of reputation.

Any advice or is their a site somewhere I am missing? I googled and came up with little.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    How much organization do you need? I've had good luck with Sony Ericcson phones. They sync with minimal problems with Macs, using iSync. But it's name/address/phone only, and while you can input info, it's not so easy.

You might look into the Treo line, also (I think there's a Palm OS version, which is probably easier than the windows OS version).
  3. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2005
    The Hub of the Universe
    The Treo line would be great except for the need for a quad band phone.
    Wireless specs on the new Treo 700p from their website:

CDMA 800/1900MHz digital dual-band

CDMA2000 EvDO network-backwards compatible with 1xRTT and IS95 networks
  4. hope macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2006
    The Treo 650 would be a perfect fit for your need. Its on networks all over the world and should possibly work for you. The 700 is the new one and doesn't work on the networks you need but the 650 is still a great phone/PDA and does both with excellence. I use it for business w/ my Mac and couldn't be happier.