Mobile Phones & Your Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by eyelikeart, Apr 30, 2004.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    I'm in the market for a new phone. I currently use Sprint PCS, and have been happy with the service. However, I'm wanting to step up to a new phone with syncing capability.

I'm curious to know who around has such features with their phones & service providers. If you wouldn't mind, could u tell me who u use & which phone u have, along with thoughts?

Thanks ahead of time. :)
  2. DGFan macrumors 6502a

Mar 28, 2003
    I have Verizon because it seems to be the best service in the midwest. I use a Motorola T730 that syncs pretty well with my Mac. My only gripe is lack of a bluetooth phone.

If you're considering a specific phone check this page out:
  3. micvog macrumors 6502

Sep 10, 2003
    S-E T616 on ATTWS

I have the Sony Ericsson T616 on ATTWS. With Blueooth, great iSync support (everything works perfectly EXCEPT for all-day events in iCal) and the availability of third-party apps (Salling Clicker), it seems like the closest thing we have to an "Apple iPhone". With the latest firmware, the phone reception is top-notch, and since it is EOL it can be had fairly cheaply. The only downsides to the phone are (1) lousy integrated camera and (2) the display is dim outdoors.

Regarding ATTWS, I am not sure if it is because of their pending acquisition by Cingular (they seem to be already combining their networks), or because ATTWS has lost so many customers, but in southern California I am now getting better reception than Verizon customers in nearly all locations (this wasn't true at the beginning of the year).

Overall, I am VERY happy with the T616 on ATTWS.
  4. Crikey macrumors 6502

Jan 14, 2004
    Spencer's Butte, Oregon
    If you want to stick with SprintPCS, check out the Samsung SPH-i500. I almost switched to Sprint to get that phone. It's the best balance of mobile phone and Palm PDA I've ever seen. Pretty spendy, but if it worked with Verizon, I'd buy one tomorrow.

I too use Verizon because of their network coverage in fringe areas of Oregon. Verizon doesn't have too many phones on the Apple iSync list linked by the previous poster. Unfortunately, I only found that page after the last time I changed plans and got my current phone, so with a Nokia 3589i I'm out of luck for iSync. Had I known, I'd probably have gotten the Motorola T730 on the assumption it would be as compatible as the T720 on the Apple list.

Verizon has good coverage and sound quality, but their selection of phones is more on the boring side than the sexy, high-tech, PDA-and-Bluetooth-enabled side. Meanwhile, Apple seems to prefer to support the sexier, Bluetooth (usually GSM) phones in iSync.

5. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i have a sony ericsson z600 that works brilliantly with 10.3.3 it syncs everything i need from ical and shows all details on the phone. it is very easy to transfer files to and from the phone woth no problems. the phone is really great also. it has a good quality screen and the phone has loads of good features that are easy to use. so basically i am very happy with my phone and computer.
  6. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    T-Mobile with a Nokia 3650...

I've been using TMobile and my Nokia 3650 since Thanksgiving of last year and have yet to have any problems. Everything syncs up perfectly via Bluetooth... it has a camera built in (not the greatest quality- but occationally usuful), good batery life, strong reception, and a huge screen. There's also plenty of 3rd party software out there for the phone- control your computer, full web browsing, even a GameBoy emulator that I use daily.
    My only gripes would be that the "speakerphone" option on it is a tad too quiet- and the funky numberpad (it looks like the old fashioned rotoryphones).

Best of luck with what ever you chose- for myself, I couldn't picture going without Bluetooth now after having it.
  7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    AT&T with a T68i (and a T306, and a T226...), but I'm looking to switch to T-Mobile once my one-year contract is up. Salling Clicker is a must-buy if you get a Bluetooth phone.
  8. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    sprint has the sony/ericsson t608... its bluetooth and works with the mac... good luck getting one though...
  9. dornball macrumors member

Apr 3, 2003
    Denver, CO.
    why "good luck getting one"? i looke don the sprint website and they don't have any sony/ericsson models. what gives?

10. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    the seem to go through acura and bmw, since those cars have bluetooth equiped ??? so you can use the phone handsfree in the car...

i think if you call customer care you can order one that way though...

its a cool phone, i did see one once... they guy said that he had to call
    and they sent it to him... its 199.99
  11. reaper macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    Anyone have experience with the Motorola V600 and OSX? Just got it and and it would be great to be able to sync my contacts. Thanks.

- reaper
  12. meredyth macrumors newbie

Apr 27, 2004
    Treo+Mac = Happy Girl

I'm using TMobile and a Treo and I'm happy enough wth it that I upgraded to the 600 this week. I love having iSync keep track of my dates and numbers between my Mac and phone :)
  13. smharmon macrumors member

Jan 26, 2004

Man, if you want an aweome phone, go with the Treo 600, it works awesome with the Mac, and I absolutely love it (I have had 35 pdas, 6 of which were phone/pda combos, and yes, it beats them all hands down)
  14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The big shame is that Apple doesn't seem to keep up with the new phones as they come out. In the very least they should try to support at least 3 to 5 CURRENT phones per carrier.
  15. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Like you I am on Sprint. I hate to change since i have a great plan compared to what they offer now. I have a LG5350 that I have a cable for and use to connect when I can't find a WiFi connection.

I would love a "PDA" style phone but don't want to give up on my Mac being able to dial in on the Vision Network.
  16. big macrumors 65816

Feb 20, 2002
    I've got a Verizon phone, I like that syncs well, though is there a way to keep it from adding 2 contacts per person (if they have a home # & a cell #, that person shows up twice!) any suggestions? Also, is there a way to add ONLY the contacts I want to be on the phone?
  17. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2003
    Detroit, Michigan
  18. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    i didnt realize you mightve been interested in a pda phone...

if so... the treo 600 is the king of all pda phones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

palm 5, camera, speakerphone, SD card slot... kicks arse!!!
  19. Mac|Photo macrumors member

Apr 28, 2004
    New Siemens Phones for ATTWS

A friend of mine works for Siemens here in Michigan, and he told me recently about some new phones that they are going to be offering here in the near future (relative to release, probably within 2-3 months though for special ppl :p, more for the normal consumer). Some of their new phones look amazing, and the S66 is simply stunning! Camera phone, small form, beautiful professional looks, bluetooth, IrDa, amazing overall.

Check it and others out here:,2241,hq_en_0_11784_rArNrNrNrN,00.html

Anyways, I have two Siemens phones on ATTWS right now, and I love it. With the merger (or buyout, whatever) with Cingular, the coverage is going to be great, and on their digital GSM plans, whenever I have signal, no matter the strength, its a clear call that conects quickly. I love ATTWS and especially the Siemens phones that go with it.
  20. Angelus macrumors 6502

Apr 19, 2002
    New Zealand
    I'm using a SonyEricsson T610 and i'm very happy with it. It syncs up without a hitch. Thumbs up from this camp
  21. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2003
    A Higher Level
    I use Sprint's PCS service and I have a SE T608,and it works great with iSync. It doesn't work with all the 3rd pary applications like Romeo and Saling Clicker. If you want to get one of these phones you have to call the 1-800 number that's on sprints page. They'll let u order one that way. But they sell out of these phones real quick, so make haste!!
  22. brynlawrence macrumors newbie

May 31, 2004
    I'm about to buy my first Mac, a powerbook 12" g4, i've been a pc user for the last 15 years. anyways- you're saying that with my LG5350 phone w/sprint pcs i cant connect my powerbook to and surf the internet? what do i need to get for this exactly?
  23. g30ffr3y macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    buffalo ny
    go to radio shack and buy the usb cable...
    under internet connection on the mac
    tell it to dial out #777
    no user name
    no password...

enjoy the internet...
  24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    You can also find the cable at CompUSA or FutureDial online.
  25. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

Jan 3, 2003
    East Coast, USA

I am on my second BT phone. I live in the western burbs of Philadelphia and I originally had a Sony Ericcson T68i phone with ATTWS. I loved the phone, hated AT&T's GSM network.

I dropped AT&T GSM and went back to TDMA with the Moto V60i. That was the best TDMA phone I ever had.

I now have a Siemens S56 phone on Cingular GSM and I love it and the coverage.

I used iSync with ALL three of these phones and I had no problems at all. With the MOTO, I had to buy a cable, with the others BT was great. A few tihngs...

1. I highly recommend making a group in Address Book and putting who you want to go to the phone in that group. I have dozens of iChat buddies that have no last name, or incomplete info. I use the Address Book sync as a way to NOT have to type into my phone.

2. I sync my calendars into my phone just to make sure i have it, but not to use as a PDA. I have my Palm Zire 71 for that. I don't do any entry on the phone.

3. Salling Clicker is a product that works with Sony Ericsson phones only, it's cool but over all I have not loved the reception of the S-E phones.

I hope that helps.