Mobile Phones

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by garybUK, Nov 17, 2004.

1. garybUK Guest

garybUK

Ok I'm really struggling deciding which mobile phone to get here.

iSync is desirable but not essential, what I do need is Bluetooth & Camera

I have been looking at the following phones:

Motorola V80, V620, Sony Ericsson K700i, S700i, Samsung D500 (Release date later this month).

Ideally I'd like to stay on Vodafone as I have had loads of trouble with Orange in the past.

Any body had any experience of the above phones and if they have got any of them working with iSync or if you could suggest another phone I could look at.

Thanks.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

K700i looks good to me mate, that's what I'd go for.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I have a k700i which iSynchs without a hitch (better than old p800).
    It's a good size, camera/screen are good, FM radio reception is pretty good, you can have mp3 ringtones and you can use it as an iTunes remote.

Bad points. The battery life isn't great. You can only store 100 SMS (and can only delete all or individually) despite it having a 40MB memory. And Vodafone put their own branded software on it which stops you being able to play mp3s on it and I believe gets rid of the very useful 'More' button (which gives you fast access to Silent, Bluetooth On/Off) replacing it with an additional link to Vodafone services or the Camera (both of which have buttons on the side already). Orange also remove these. O2 don't (I moved to them when I got this phone)

Having said all that, it was the one that met most of my needs and I'm pretty happy with it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you in the UK have this issue with service providers disabling bluetooth features? We've had a lot of phones released here in the US in the past few months with cripple-ware bluetooth implementation -- like they can use headsets but not sync with computers, for instance -- including the Blackberry 7100T and the Treo 650 for some providers...

5. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

This practice of disabling functionality of the phone in order to push you into purchasing more services from their networks should be looked into by the competition authorities.

I'm not aware of UK networks crippling BT, but as said before, some are trying to prevent you from using your own content as ringtones. (I think the mp3s do play on their media player, just not as ringtone).

For now it is worth noting that you can get a "standard" K700i, and a contract from Vodafone, and enjoy the full functionality of this capable handset.

Oh, and the media player on the K700i will play unprotected aac files. :)

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Sharp/Vodafone did that with my GX30 :mad:

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That stinks! :( When I looked at the 7100T or the Treo 650, I really thought, wow, these would be major upgrades for me. Then when I looked at the BT disabled features, they seem more like downgrades....

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Yup, that sucks. While the bundling of handsets and contracts may have been a great way to grow the market initially, we now seem to have reached the point of anti-competitive practices setting in. The mobile networks seem to see BT and media players on phones as a threat to the lucrative ring-tone market and are fighting it.

9. garybUK thread starter Guest

garybUK

Many thanks for the replies... the phone company '3' when i got a NECe606 when they were first released, the Bluetooth wouldn't even pair with a non nec headset.. very annoying! they are the worst network / handset in the whole wide universe ever!!!

From what i have gathered on Voda if you get the 'i' versions then it re-enables some of these features.

I will definately look into the k700i, the itunes remote thing sounds kinda sexy :)

10. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

i have a K700i and its great, there are a couple of issues with the s700i but i'll let you read about them here

Here a K700i review from the same site, its not mega positive because whenn he reviewed it there were firmware issues with the screen and battery life, but now the powersave features mean that you get pretty good battery life in my opinon. any questions on the k700i then just fire away. The bluetooth is great on it by the way.

There aren't reviews for the other ones you mentioned on mobileburn but i'm sure if you google it then you'll find something. Hope I helped!

11. papersushi macrumors regular

Motorola's Bluetooth phone as far as the ones I have used are not compatible with many bluetooth phone software, such as Romeo, which allows you to control your Mac with your phone. For the best iSync and 3rd party software support, get a Sony Ericsson bluetooth phone. When it comes down to cool electronic gadgets and style, Motorola is not compariable to SONY.

12. mfacey macrumors 65816

mfacey

I've had my K700i for a few weeks now. Best phone i've ever had. Superb functionality and the compatibility with your mac will be flawless.

I'd steer well clear of Motorola. Their phones are lacking in the features and value for money you get from for example from SE.

Samsung D500 looks interesting aswell though!

Have you considered some of the recent releases from Nokia?

13. lordmac macrumors regular

apple phone?

I have heard a lot of rumors of and apple possably coming out in fact just on engadget to day(12/08/04) they have a post about a guy who met a moterola employee on a train who says there was a apple phone being shown around with iin the company. So you could wait tell MW 2005 on the 10th oof jan. and see what happens. Here is the link http://engadget.com/entry/1234000540022981/ :D

14. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Another vote for the K700i here. Got the software for it to control iTunes, desktop, Powerpoint, DVD player, mediaplayer etc..... very very nice piece of software :D
    Haven't really been too bothered about the battery life as I generally charge it every 2 days or so, and it only really needs charging if I've been makign quite a few call and using BT a lot. The charger cover makes it nice and neat but I would have prefered it open making it slightly easier to use with a desktop charger.. but over all its a top notch phone and pairs up wonderfully with my PB

15. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Never had any experience of that, but no doubt it happens. What often happens in the US is that you guys get a European device, and the Bluetooth functionality is taken out of it completely - like the Sony Clie TH55, for example. Just becaz the market over there for Bluetooth isn't deemed big enough to warrent its inclusion.

I got a k700i yesterday, and I love it. T-mobile changed the 'more' hotkey to redirect to its own service, which is a total pain. As mentioned, O2 don't do that. Only reason I went with T-mobile is because I get 850 texts a month and 500 offpeak cross network minutes for 23 quid a month, and the phone was only ten quid. Always good! The phone itself is great, though. I'm kinda biased, having had a SE t68i, then a z600, and now this - gotta love Sony Ericsson though!

Pity its an antiquated 18 month contract I'm on, when everyone else is using 12 month contracts, but sure!

andy.

16. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

(Note: I am a O2 employee, this doesn't represent the view of O2, just my personal opinion)

Be careful if you are going to get a K700i on O2 in the UK, theres known issuses with reciving SMS messages from the O2 network with this phone and still waiting for O2 and SE to agree on a fix, so much so there giving away the K700i in work as a employee incentive for overtime :)

O2 do not cripple any services on any of there mobile phones, but there support ends at GPRS/MMS connections, expect no support linking up to the phone via bluetooth other than to use GPRS mobile web...

I've owned a T68i, T610, Nok 7110 and Nok 6600 on various networks, all providers are the same regarding the phones, no cripples just there annoying own versions of the firmware :)

17. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

Ye I have one, but am dissapointed that I cannot sync contacts etc in full like other phones like moto and nokia can, and like I can using my D500 on my PC. Its a shame iSync doesn't support it fully like this and that Samsung do not do a Mac version of their software for it.

18. ph0rce macrumors 6502

i have a nokia 6230i and i love it, i dont think you can use it with iSync though. thats what makes it a lil bit poo. other than that... i love it!

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you want this phone for BT and the camera, and iSync is less of a priority (as you said), then the K700i may not be the best camera for you. I had a K700i until last week before I lost it, and while the BT was great, the camera wasn't very good. However, the camera got better as the firmware was updated. I'd get an SE K750, but as money is probably an issue, maybe it's not the cheapest option right now. Also, as the phone is new, there will be some firmware wackiness with it right now, meaning it's not optimized right now. It took a while for the K700i for everything to be worked out. The newest firmware actually improves the camera image quality and speeds up the phone's software.

I say wait a few more months for that one, or I guess you can get it now if you don't mind having your firmware replaced in a year.