Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
Purchased the 3G today, I know anyone can get the trial, but I want to reactivate an old .mac username. I thought 3G purchasers could get a discount. Anyone know? If not, no worries, I imagine it would only be $25 or so.

kornyboy

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2004
Knoxville, TN (USA)
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I haven't heard anything about a discount but it would be nice.

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
where did you hear that?

I upgraded today from the original iPhone to the new iPhone and that is the deal we were offered as well (in Towson, MD). They had signs saying it was $69 when you purchased a MAC or iPhone. They were really pushing MobileMe with the iPhone. I told the rep that I was going to try the demo and he talked me into buying it. I'm not normally a push-over like that but I got sucked into all the hoopla going on at the store after waiting three hours to purchase the new phone.

fat phil

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
I upgraded today from the original iPhone to the new iPhone and that is the deal we were offered as well (in Towson, MD). They had signs saying it was $69 when you purchased a MAC or iPhone. They were really pushing MobileMe with the iPhone. I told the rep that I was going to try the demo and he talked me into buying it. I'm not normally a push-over like that but I got sucked into all the hoopla going on at the store after waiting three hours to purchase the new phone.

It's not a bad deal for what you get (tho I think I'd want it free after spending $5k on mac gear!), but I must admit I've lost the spending buzz now that MobileMe is down and iTunes has been a bit iffy. So much momentum wasted - heads must be rolling tonight :/

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
To get the discount, you are suppose to buy MobileMe at the time of phone purchase.

If you don't buy it with the phone then you have to pay full price.

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
I might wait a bit to install it now that I've come home and seen negative reports here. If it's that bad, maybe I'll return it, even if I have to take the 10% restocking fee hit.

Maybe I'll install the demo first and see what it's like.

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
At this point, I would need a heavy discount to try MobileMe. Think I'll wait or not do it at all. The yahoo mail functionality working with folders is excellent and I really don't need the headache of an unstable product like MobileMe.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
To get the discount, you are suppose to buy MobileMe at the time of phone purchase.

If you don't buy it with the phone then you have to pay full price.

Not true. I bought an iPhone at the AT&T store in my college town, Springfield, MO. Later that day I drove home to KC and stopped by the new Apple store in Kansas on my way to see my girlfriend to get a case. The guy who was helping me just gave me a $99 MobileMe and took $30 off the price using his portable card scanner thing. No hassle at all. He was very helpful. If you just show your new iPhone and ask they shouldn't bother you about the discount. Apple customer service is awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.