Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I have tons of apple adb keyboards laying around, and while playing with my 6100, I noticed that I like the way they type much better than my pc keyboard. I found the pinouts, but can I just hack a adb cable to a ps/2 cable and expect it to work?

Apple Desktop Bus (ADB)
-----------------------
Pin Signal name Signal description

1 ADB Data
2 NC Reserved
3 +5v +5 volts DC
4 GND Signal ground

PS/2
pin assignment
A NC
B KB Data
C Gnd
D KB Clock
E +5V
F NC

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I suggest you look up what signals are present in a PS/2 style connector and see if they match what the Apple keyboards have.

And if that looks good, then you only have to worry about what each keyboard sends out when you press a key.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Andy,

Just asking, but why would you want to go from ADB to PS/2? All of the computers in your sig are USB Macs (aside from the PB 5300 which has ADB), so you can use an ADB to USB adapter. The Griffin iMate can do this, but it's $40.

ft

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
ftaok said:
Andy,

Just asking, but why would you want to go from ADB to PS/2? All of the computers in your sig are USB Macs (aside from the PB 5300 which has ADB), so you can use an ADB to USB adapter. The Griffin iMate can do this, but it's $40.

ft
Because my pc is ps/2, and I want a challenge.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Ok, well now I'm short two more keyboards, it seems that apple changed the design....I can't seem to match the pins up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.