MOD files - getting crazy...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sf-top, Apr 20, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Guys, plz help! :)
    I have Cannon video camera which stores its videos in MOD format. Now I need to MERGE these files into one.
    The problem is that any software I was able to try doesn't just merge those file into one but also forces me to convert 'em, but those mod files have resolution at 720*576, and any damn conversion changes aspect ratio to standard values, so picture becomes taller and more narrow. Even if I forcefully set output video resolution at 720*576 the aspect ratio is still changed.
    The only software was capable of doing such conversion was Handbrake, as it allows to set a strict anamorphic parameter while converting, but it doesn't allow to merge files...
    I've spent a couple of days trying to figure out how to get what I want, but now it looks I'm completely run out of ideas :(

Please, if anyone knows how to JUST MERGE mod files or to merge&convert them with original aspect ratio - share you bright knowledge with me...

2. macrumors 6502a

It's not clear what you mean here. Are your videos 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratios ? If you tell us the model of your camera it might help more.

I doubt you can just merge MOD files as it is a proprietary format it seems. You can Try using MPEG Streamclip's batch converter which allows merging. It might me able to pass the MPEG transport stream without conversion.

If you are shooting 16:9 aspect video, export to 1024x576 square pixel. 720x576 can be used to "store" 16:9 anamorphic aspect ratio.

3. macrumors 6502

My advice would be: Do the merging with whatever program it works, forget about the aspect ratio. Then open the result in Handbrake and just "Save as...", setting the correct aspect ratio.

The aspect ratio is a value that is only set in the video container and the files don't need to be reencoded for that.

If you are not afraid of the Terminal, you can always try to install ffmpeg. You can simply add an aspect ratio but not change anything else with the command:

ffmpeg -i Infile.mov -acodec copy -vcodec copy -aspect 16:9 Outfile.avi

(just change the parameters accordingly...)

Sorry that I can't be more specific, but I really don't know MOD files...

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

All I know is that video resolution is 720*576 :(
    Regarding camera model - Canon LEGRIA FS200.
    MOD file format is not proprietary one, you can check it here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_(video_format)

----------

Doesn't work :(
    Handbrake just don't have that "Save as..." feature.
    I tried to do it by merging and (damn) converting mod files in iSkySoft iMedia Converter to mp4 (as a wild guess, could pick any of general video formats) and then convert it in Handbrake using original video resolution - result is the same as it is for the last two days...
    What I would do for sure is to throw away this camera (or gift it to my worst enemy) and buy a new one without this stupid "mod", but currently I have all my family videos for the last two years in mod files and I really need to do smth. with them :(

5. macrumors 6502a

Did you even try MPEG Streamclip's Batch convert mode yet ??

Your camera is recording a 16:9 video as 4:3 anamorphic, so:

Merge the files using MPEG Streamclip ("Save As" may be able to pass through the original transport stream)
    convert to 1024x576 MPEG 4 using Handbrake for best results.

MOD files ARE PROPRIETARY, albeit 3 companies were using it. They can't even tell you want the TOD format means !!! If you want best compatibility convert the video to standard MPEG 4, then you will be able to upload it on youtube, watch it on Macs and PCs, video game consoles, iPads/iPhones, etc etc etc.

6. macrumors 6502

Well, in Canons defense: The resolution of 720x576 is not really a weird one that they decided on, but it is the standard resolution for all non-HD TVs and DVDs in Europe. It dates back to very ancient times and it is always a problem that the pixels are not supposed to be displayed as squares, but stretched.

Most players can play back your footage and if it looks distorted, you can manually set (for example in VLC) the displayed aspect ratio to the most common values and everything will look fine.

Still, you can theoretically enclose said aspect ratio into the container file already so that the player does not get it wrong on first try...

But my advice is: Listen to initialsBB: Encode it to 1024x576! If you upload it to youtube or play it back on other players, even if you include the aspect ratio information, it will (youtube) or might (other players) be displayed incorrectly.

7. macrumors 6502

I don't have MOD files here, but I have to say that I just tried other 720x576 files with MPEG Streamclip, and it worked like a charm!

Just start the program and go to the batch conversion (Command-B). Then chose "Add files..." and select all the files you want to join. In the next window, you can pick a suitable container format (you can play around with that) and have to check the "merge all files" box (expressions may vary, as my version is in German and I am translating...). Next you can just choose what folder to store the merged movie in. And then finally, the compression window comes up.

You can apparently not chose an option to not transcode and just join streams, so you might just do it all at once if you are not really THAT keen on getting the absolute best possible quality. To just get an end result with this one program, make sure to pick "1024x576 (16:9)" in the "frame size" list on the left! As compression, I would go with "H.264". You can play around with the "quality" slider to adjust file size. For audio, I would recommend "MPEG-4 (AAC)". The rest you can probably leave as is or read through yourself.

If you do care about awesome quality, rather pick "Apple ProRes 422 (HQ)" for compression and "Uncompressed" for audio. You can then take the created file into Handbrake or even Compressor to do whatever you feel suits you.

8. macrumors 6502a

422 HQ won't have any advantage over 422 or even 422 LT when coming from highly compressed SD format.

In MPEG Streamclip there is an option to "Save as" in the batch window. It might work without transcoding.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Wel, good news indeed :)
    I was able to convert a pack of mod files to mpeg with Streamclip, just added files and chose "convert to mpeg" from File menu, got a solid mpeg on the output. With correct ratio :)
    That batch processing requires MPEG-2 Playback Component to be installed, and it appears I don't have one in stock, trying to google it now.
    Guys, thank you very much for your help!

UPD.
    Found that component - it cannot be installed on Lion :)
    Damn, I feel myself like working with MS Windows :))))

10. macrumors 6502

Are you sure? I am pretty sure I don't have that installed on my system, just the newest version MPEG Streamclip. In addition, I installed VLC, which is used by some apps, so maybe you could do that too! All the rest should be standalon applications...

Maybe you should rather google for the error message than the software...

It seems like this is some kind of problem if the original footage is in MPEG-2 format! You can however install this component in Lion with a trick, as explained on the MPEG Streamclip webpage. There is a section "Lion and MPEG-2 Playback Component" which will tell you what to do!

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I have vlc installed :)
    And of course I read about that trick, now just downloading required components, which is a tricky itself ;)

12. macrumors 6502

Then I'll say "good luck"... :) I'm off to a meeting now, so I won't be of any help the next hour...

13. macrumors 6502a

Floh, you got FCS installed? Then you got the MPEG plugin.

14. macrumors 6502

Nope, I only have FCPX and (a little older) FCE, never had the money for FCS. :( Still, it may also be included in FCE...

But I never tried to convert or edit MPEG2-files, so I did not notice it missing yet. The OP obviously had an MPEG2 codec in the files he wanted to join which gave the error message I couldn't reproduce...

15. macrumors 6502a

Nope, FCE didn't have it either.

But to solve the mod issue: Wondershare helps.

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope, it doesn't :)
    I tried it and got the same result - wrong aspect after conversion.

To finalize the issue - streamclip proved to be an excellent solution.
    May be FinalCut can do the same, but the price....