Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xPismo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
California.
No comments?

I think its a good idea but at a price thats way to high. A mod for a $1000 MB that comes to $2200? Woah. If it was less, lets say 1500 I seriously consider it, but thats MBP money.

Anyone itching to buy it right now?

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
Funny that the only Mac introduced today came from someone besides Apple...

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
No comments?

I think its a good idea but at a price thats way to high. A mod for a $1000 MB that comes to $2200? Woah. If it was less, lets say 1500 I seriously consider it, but thats MBP money.

This is probably part of what makes it expensive:

"WACOM Penabled Digitizer"

Being able to write directly on the screen doesn't come cheap...

But yeah, I wouldn't buy one either.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
So Macbook (retail) costs $1299.99...want a tablet version? Add $1000. Cool.

...NOT.

Maybe if the price were a tad lower, the idea is neat but I wouldn't shell out that much.

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark
I keep seeing some of the innovations of the iPhone being expanded to a tablet sometime this year.... so although I really, really want a tablet, I'll pass on this one.

Now a decent size tablet + multitouch + tweaked OS X..... *that* I'll pay $2k for.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
No comments?

Touchscreen technology is expensive.

I didn't really care about such a thing, seeing as there have been two tablet revolutions and the things are still basically enterprise tools but it looks sturdy and could get Apple into new business with the right applications available, of course.

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
The time article said they were working on a tablet mac and came up with iphone instead. So maybe a real one is in the pipeline

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Make your own:

grab a nice Wacom thats nice n big (of course, nice and expensive too)

place its "touch sensitive" film behind the LCD

now, the problems of course become can you trim a wacom (i dont know, but it seems like they did, OR wacom made custom sizes)?

but its just a macbook, flip the LCD over, get rid of all unnecessary parts and do the wacom hack. your done.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
i think apple is gonna drop their version out soon and owc will go by by cause apple could doit forless that half prob only 4-500 more than a standard macbook

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I heard you can't flip/conceal the screen when not in use. That's a dealbreaker for me right there.

Agreed. The lack of screen protection and a keyboard are the major drawbacks of this device. I understand that the twisting screen would be difficult to pull off as a mod, but I can't imagine wanting to use a touch screen exclusively.

adamyoshida

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
I think the closest think we'll ever see to a Mac tablet is the iPhone.

I think that it's pretty likely that the rumors of "flexible touchpads" on a future MB/MBP are actually fairly likely now. It'd really be an amazing - game changing - idea for a lot of stuff. Esp. iLife.

mick4394

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
Flyover country
I think that it's pretty likely that the rumors of "flexible touchpads" on a future MB/MBP are actually fairly likely now. It'd really be an amazing - game changing - idea for a lot of stuff. Esp. iLife.

I don't see Apple going for a full blown tablet, though. I wouldn't be surprised if they used this technology for a "sideshow" type feature.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
ModBook does not ship till 4/31/2007

I was hoping if someone can post the actual user experience with ModBook (but, it is not yet sold yet; so, scratch that idea). For a slate model, ModBook is a little too thick.

JosX

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2009
Northumberland, UK
It's definitely cool, & when comparing to the Wacom Cintiq really the price isn't to bad considering this thing also has a mid-range laptop in it too. I wish they would update it, maybe using the 13" MBP, mainly from the design front, I mean look at the back, it's still a thick white macbook, still not very strong, still looks terrible going from that nice aluminium front to the plastic back, base it on the 13" uMBP & it would be thinner, look nicer & more powerful. I think it would actually look allot like the iPad, but with everything the iPad should have, so much more power & a fully functioning OS.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The ModBook is the reason why the iPad doesn't come with full OS. Apple saw it an they saw that it was a niche market at the moment. Give it four years, then computer parts will let you do something useful on a light structure for not a lot of money. Until then, it's either expensive, or heavy, or slow. Or, as some might point out about the iPad, a combination of all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.